Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am currently in Iraq and I go on R&R leave next month in July. I just bought a 1986 Toyota Pickup off of ebay last month and its sitting at my Mom's house right now waiting for me. This is my fourth toyota 4x4 and 3rd yota with a 22r and I am a fairly experienced mechanic. Specs as follows:

*22r
*5 spd manual
*203k miles
*Flowmaster muffler
*35" BFG M/T (about 30-40% tread left)
*15x12 American Racing rims
*5.29 gearing
*Body lift (from the pics my Mom sent me looks like 2"
*Suspension lift (brackets up front IFS, springs and blocks in rear)
*Fiberglass bed

I am willing to spend about 3k on it and so far this is what I am thinking about doing (doing all work myself):

*LC Engineering Header
*LC Engineering carb adapter with K&N filter
*Complete gasket set (valve cover leaking, change any other leaking gaskets)
*Optima battery
*Hi-Lift extreme 48" jack
*Changing interior dash and everything from brown to grey
*All-Pro transfer case parking brake
*Stereo
*Complete tune-up

The things that are kinda far fetched but might also happen

*New tires (probably more BFG M/T's and make one of the old ones a spare)
*Rear disc brake conversion with FJ80 brake master cylinder
*All-Pro rear lift kit (new springs, spring perches, u-bolt flip kit etc)
*Auxilliary lights (mounted on front bumper or maybe light bar)
*Cam with roller rockers

Its painted blue but came from the factory red. I wish I could post pictures of it but I cant get on photobucket, its blocked. I just want some advice on what you guys would do with 3-4k to spend on it. Keep in mind I am only on leave for 18 days and I do want to enjoy it too so a SAS swap or sb chevy is out of the question for now. Thanks a lot, Tony.

·
Registered
9,898 Posts
Are you building a DD or a light duty wheeler? Everything on your list seems like its going to make it better for the highway, not having a locker and having ifs sucks shit even on regular non rock type trails. If your plans include playing in the rocks, I think you need to do some more reading and change your list up a bit.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I want to be able to drive it on the roads if I want to but it will be more for wheeling than for daily driving. I have an 07 acura TL type-s for that. I think that I am headed in the right direction with what I am doing.... Adding a couple things to the engine for power.. Ultimately I want to do a solid axle swap when I get back stateside for good.

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
power is cool but it's a lot easier to multiply torque. Wheel it for 18 days, have fun with it. It's a toyota truck, it's never gonna be fast. Save up for a doubler, weld the rear, buy the TG, All Pro, or MArlin SAS kit and get it done when you're back for good

1 - 7 of 7 Posts