Rear fenders cut
steering box moved forward, flat pitman arm, frame plated
Ford Electric Green single stage enamel
homebrew exo

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
from that area, rig doesn't look familiar tho. ohwell.

Welcome :flipoff2:
You from Roseburg? I'm newer to the area. Rig doesn't get out much... partly due to the HUGE LACK in places to crawl around here. I generally go out of the area. Hit me up if you have any suggestions though...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So when I first got the rig the original owner had put chevy 56’s in the rear and what I believe to be some type of waggy springs in the front? They had a huge shackle mounted to the bottom of the frame. While it drove well… I was afraid they would get snagged on everything, so they had to go.

I built a RUF pack which was a little soft but I ran out of leafs so I made it work until I can get some TG 3”. I only have about 1.75” of up before my bumps hit which result in some painful speed bumps. Articulation is decent but speed hurts.

So since I messed with the front, I wanted to improve the rear as well. I went with the 3 leaf Chevy 63’s with overload… unfortunately I didn’t get enough lift so I kept the blocks under them. Im debating on putting another leaf in them from the 56's and pulling out the blocks. Just can't afford a complete TG overhaul right now.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So with the new spring setup I took it out to the McGrew Trail…. Went great until user error resulted in a complete roll…. Not happy!

First I tried to straighten it… after many failed attempts to jack it up and even use the winch and tree to pull it. I gave up.

It gave me a chance to upgrade… I picked up an 87 and harvested some v-6 components, an IFS rear axle housing(for some reason I had a 79 rear axle), and got a sunroof out of it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Went together pretty simple. This was my first attempt at anything like it. I was still fairly new to welding sheet metal as well. All in all it’s straight and seems to be working just fine. The integrity has obviously been extremely compromised, so an internal cage will be my next project.

I also learned that angle grinders are not to be messed with…

The spare rig also gave me spare doors. I took the old bent ones, cut them up, and made some pretty clean half doors. I gave them “soda” holders and carpeted the inside. I also installed speakers with quick disconnects and did the same on the other set of doors. The new doors were electric so I ran them for power for an instant upgrade!

I braced the inside lengthwise on both sides, this also gave me more material to weld to. for the side pieces I just welded the seems. Seemed to work. Even with the doors being destroyed before, they turned out straight with very little bondo.

Since I carpeted the doors I also pulled out the rest of the old interior and made new side pieces. I carpeted everything to match… including the dash.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
id go exo so you wont have to reskin it again to stop water leaks it rains here in oregon.

take it to matt and tonys shop on broklyn they can do good tube work at affordable cost

·
Registered
767 Posts
yep im from just south of there. and that's where i wheel mostly since my rig lives there. :laughing:

there`s some 'rock' crawling to be had out in the glide area, i havent been there yet since i goto school full time in albany and its kind of a long pull from riddle.
most all of the rigs in that area are more 'trail rig' rather than rock crawler, lots of people have dual cases mostly because most trails are steep as hell.
some more places are burnt mountain, callahans(somewhat limited cuz of us forest service) cow creek has some stuff.
i cant name them all, theres alot, just gotta find em.

i`ll hit you up sometime when we all go out

Where did you roll on mcgrew? we went on that last year, had some cool spots in the first half of it, but good gawd that trail is just bumity bump bump all damn day long :shaking:

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
ridge road to long ranch used to be fun and now its a freeway.

i tow down and snow wheel up little river rd with my friends that still live there in the winter

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Don't spend cake on a full trailmart set up, just spend some time tuning up your current set up.
What do you want out of your suspension, or what do you want to change from where you're at?
You want a bit more height to get ya off the bumps, While maintaining decent articulation?
Is there room to relocate the bumps up a bit? A pair of used leafs is $50-$100 up here, start bastardizing a pack together. Find some with a bit more arc to them, and put one or two of them into your current pack. You might be surprised by how much lift can be gained from adding a single leaf.

I went back and re-read. Fuck yeah pull some leafs out of the 56s and see how it helps the rear. Or leave the blocks in and build a wrap bar. You should probably build a wrap bar anyway with 63s, especially with only 3 leafs in the pack!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Anyone local that would like to show me around hit me up when you're available. I basically got burned out on the Callahans since nothing is left. I talked to a BLM coordinator who said an OHV area is in the works but unfortunately has been for a long time. They know they need one in the area but it's still quite a ways out.

As for the front suspension my bumps are set about as high as I'd like them to prevent negative arch. My shackle angle also sucks and the shorter TG springs should help with that. I really don't want to cut up from front hanger and re-mount. I may still try and find more rear springs to add another long leaf... I just havnt had decent luck getting my hands on any.

As for the rear, I'm a little worried about putting in another leaf to give more ride height as it will also increase the spring rate. Having stiff springs in the rear and soft in the front could help me roll it again... Has anyone else ran a setup like that? or done anything else to get more arch out of the 63's?

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
If you're worried about it being too stiff out back and don't wanna re-work hangers, stick with the blocks and throw a wrap bar at it.
And you're gonna roll it again, it gets easier to accept the more ya do it!

If shorter leafs will help your shackle angle, I'm guessing your front shackles are too laid out?
Post a pic of how it sits at ride height...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Here's my current shackle angle. Whoever did the sas set the frame tube all the way forward, which is Great, but they set the front hanger pretty far in so I don't have much room between the two. My RUF pack is pretty close to flat too...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also started hacking my rear fenders... learned a few things along the way so hopefully the passenger side is faster. I cut WAY too many relief cuts resulting in tons of stitch and patch welding. I cut 3" up, 2" back, and 1" forward. Went from 32" to 35.5" between bottom points. When I'm done I'll pull those blocks and see where it sits.

About ready for filler and under coat. It also gave some relief to the side panels and I was able to clear out a few more dents :)

·
Registered
767 Posts
when i first got my truck it had some short rock hard springs out back 'moar lift' type. it was tipsy as all hell.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I picked up another pack of 2wd rears from a 79(ish) to give a little more lift to my front springs. I started with 1.75" between the bumps, I added a full 2nd leaf from the new pack and got over an inch. I now have about 3" between bumps which should be perfect. Havn't tested flex yet but I like the extra lift. Im sitting at 8 leafs now which sounds rediculous and I would have liked to layer the front of the springs a little more.... instead the front looks like im running 4 of the same length leafs. The rear of the spring is layered better, Im just afraid of losing lift. What do you guys think???

All the 79(ish) are from 2wd 2 leaf packs. The 89(ish) were from a 4x4 pickup.

1. 79 1st
2. 89 military wrap
3. 79 2nd (slight trim)
4. 89 3rd with wraps (full)
5. 79 2nd (cut to fit)
6. random (cut to fit
7. random (cut to fit)
8. random (cut to fit)

1 - 20 of 60 Posts