Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 1986 turbo truck that had a cracked manifold and trashed turbo so I started upgrading stuff.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Wholly turbo batman. That thing is huge! Good luck getting it to spool, Especially if you're crawling.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
22ret - Warning, objects in photos are smaller then they appear.

If all goes well I will be starting it tonight. Finished all of my intercooler piping

Parts list:
Steed Speed CNC manifold
Tial 38mm wastegate
New Turbo cartridge
Downpipe is all stainless that I tig welded, wastegate dumps into downpipe
Used intercooler out of a 2013 ford fusion (really nice size)
hand bent cooling lines

Stuff I still need to do:
Steering***
SAS - 3 link the front
front/rear bumper
cage

*** My power steering lines are very close to interfering with my intercooler pipe (turbo to intercooler). I was researching the thread pitch for the power steering box thinking I may be able to find 90 degree fittings and just reroute the lines around the tube. I am trying to avoid spending a ton of time and money on changing all my PS lines right away when I am going to do a SAS, and hydro assist.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Is this on 22rte trucks forum?

Steed speed brings the bling bling

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, just here.

Encoutered a problem tonight..... started the truck and let it run for a few seconds. This is the second time if have started the truck and prior to starting the truck I put in new oil and filled the coolant. Not once has it got up to operanting temp in the last two times I have started it. I pull the oil feed line for the turbo after a few seconds of idling and it is milk. It seems to me that coolant as leaked into the oil pan while sitting. What would cause this? What else should I check ?

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
You stated that the manifold and turbo were junk when you picked it up.

Did you do any tests on the motor/block/head to see if it was the same?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
timing cover may have a leak, (not sure of the exact setup of your particular turbo, as some have coolant tubes) bad seal in the compressor, head gasket?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The engine was rebuilt before I received the truck. It has a new timing cover. I did a compression check of all cylinders and adjusted the valves.

On the driver side of the engine block (turbo models), right in front of the bell housing, there are two wholes drilled and tapped in the block. From what I could tell they are the factory oil and coolant supply for the stock turbo. I plugged one and utilized one. Based on what I could identify I plugged the oil feed because I had already bought a long obnoxious stainless braided oil feed line that runs from the passenger side of the block, over the top of the engine and to the turbo. The second, what I think is a coolant passage, I used for a coolant return line off the turbo. What I am hoping and have yet to test is that I mixed the two up and have been dumping all my new coolant directly into the oil pan. For the sake of not pulling the engine out and rebuilding everything I hope that is the problem.

If someone has a photo of the driver side of the block and can label the two feeds I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
The engine was rebuilt before I received the truck. It has a new timing cover. I did a compression check of all cylinders and adjusted the valves. Is that what you where told or know proof positive? Shop recites?

On the driver side of the engine block (turbo models), right in front of the bell housing, there are two wholes drilled and tapped in the block. From what I could tell they are the factory oil and coolant supply for the stock turbo.
As per my pic rock83 is correct. The brass plug is a block DRAIN. The stock water feed for the turbo is a nipple coming off the turbo specific water hose. It is the second rubber hose coming off the bottom radiator.

I think that cooling the turbo with water that has already been heated by the block isn't the best idea.

As for your oil feed line... That is unfiltered oil (mine is set up this way) it will be filtered oil if you use the port that is shown with a white dot (none turbo block pic)

If you have water in the oil I would look at all the usual 22r causes for this (head gasket, cracked block, warped head, ext)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks Stubs. Out with the engine!

Any last min suggestions before I pull the head? Being the timing cover and turbo are brand new are there any other possibilities aside from a cracked head that would drain all the coolant into the oil? I think at this point for peace of mind I am going to pull the engine and go through the entire thing?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got the head off last night and I am taking into the machine shop today. I wanted to know if anyone had recommendations as to what I should have done on top of a pressure check and maybe a rebuild?

Different head gasket, ring the head, head studs, etc... I still need to smog the truck so I can not go crazy with performance upgrades right away.

·
Registered
108 Posts
my recommendation is to use a Toyota head gasket. I had bad luck using an aftermarket one, leaked coolant with no pressure between the block and head.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts