Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Might be efi'ng the ftoy so I can get a lower hoodline.

I read the FAQ and this thread http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=316661&page=5

plus abunch of other cam threads.

Just want to confirm if they do have the same lift but the duration is different. And if it is what is it going to do to engine performance?

I'll most likely get a torq cam anyways but if I don't need to right away then I can wait to spend the $.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
come on people, I know some of you are smart engine guys. I'm just a fabricater.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
On page three of the thread I posted I read this

Copy and pasted for the lazy

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4602572&postcount=62

cams not the same

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Mini Trucks
the cam and rocker ass will interchange from 75 20r to 95 22re
sure there a little diff thru the years but same application
as far as 22r carb and 22re being different cams i think there all the same

Lift is the same but EFI and carb cams have different durations both on intake and exhaust.

Stock Cam Specs:
For 1975 and up 20R's and non EFI 22R's:

Intake Duration- 272 degrees
Exhaust Duration- 248 degrees
Intake Lift- 10.1 mm
Exhaust Lift- 9.7 mm

For EFI 22R's:

Intake Duration- 248 degrees
Exhaust Duration- 280 degrees
Intake Lift- 10.0 mm
Exhaust Lift- 9.7 mm

This is where I took the info:
http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/...toy_motor.html

This is what got me wondering.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
ur rite just double checked my chilton and it said the exact same thing i must have read with some dislexia

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
i would keep the non efi cam if i was u duration is longer for the intake and ur sucking in more and making more power.

-Thomas

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
With your driving style pook-- you won't have any issues just running the stock cam thats in the motor. I assume you are wanting to do it without ripping the head off?

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
With your driving style pook-- you won't have any issues just running the stock cam thats in the motor. I assume you are wanting to do it without ripping the head off?
I just want to win comps :D and have fun wheeling hard trails on my leaf springs keeping up with all you linked and coiledovered buggy's. (which i allready do :flipoff2: and the new sticky's will make it that much easier)

A little more power if it'll get it would be nice. I actually just found a comp 252 (or whatever# it is) in my extra parts bin still brand new in the box. I picked it up a few years ago and forgot about it.

My head was a rebuilt by toyota just before I bought the old donor truck so its good and tight. If gains aren't going to be felt then I would rather not mess with it yet.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
unless me degree wheel and dial indicator is wacked, i found that the late model ( 85-95) heads have the same cam???? it does not matter weatherits carb or efi????? i have even contacted a few engine parts vendors and they agreeded. as for the early 22rs and the 20rs i have not compared them yet

cliff

·
Cranky Moderator
7,366 Posts
If you want the best possible cam for your specific app, call this friend of mine. He is a cam grinder, and can set you up with the right cam for your app.

Dougherty Racing Camshafts
3841 Quest Court Unit 11
Shingle Springs CA 95682
Tel (530) 672-2286
Phone hours 10am - 5pm PST
http://www.drcamshafts.com

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
A little more power if it'll get it would be nice. I actually just found a comp 252 (or whatever# it is) in my extra parts bin still brand new in the box. I picked it up a few years ago and forgot about it.
The CC 252S is an excellent choice for the 22R or 22RE if you plan to stick in a new cam. It's got excellent 2000 to 4000 RPM torque increase over stock. With a header and opened exhaust, you should see about 8% increase in torque and HP numbers from the stock profile. That's just my worthless opinion.
gNARLS.:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts