Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
87 4runner, 63's, RUF, Rock Assaults, Now 4.3 SWAP!...

Flame Suit ON!!

Wifes 1987 4runner, 22-re, auto, bone stock turd.

Bought it with a blown head gasket, and trashed interior, and beat up body.

day it came home, after I traded a buddy for these tires and rims.

Found a junk yard that had a fresh 4runner, so I got the whole interior.

gutted and cleaned

tossed an aussie in the rear, un-bolted the front sway bar, and went wheeling.

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Somewhere along the line, it got a new used rear bumper, and a set of sliders.

also replaced all the keys and lock cylinders so the ignition key stays in the ignition.

Fast Forward, and I won these, right here on Pirate, and I took the flaming and the love for it, lol.

been gathering parts to put them in, Got a set of 63" chevys for the rear from a buddy, ordered lots of parts from Trail Gear, RuffStuff, and MArlin.

Started tearing down the front donor axle

apparently some water got in there before I got it, and everything was toast.

Found a good used stock shaft to replace the pitted one, and got new bearings and seals.

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
made my own backing plate eliminators, by drilling out the spot welds, and re-using the factory ring.

found the stock housing was bent

not really sure why I didn't order the complete knuckle kit when I ordered parts, but wound up ordering Timken knuckle bearings off Rock auto, but they only had 3, so I got 1 from the dealer.

Here you can see the difference in the taper of them, i'll see how they hold up.

Wife helping out

This is about all she does, cause we found out she's pregnant!!

here is how much you shave off the third member.

and assembled

and painted

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Axles are really sweet, But, one thing I would like to see Trail Gear do id to run a tap through the holes for the third member studs After welding, it appears they were tapped prior to welding, and I had to chase all the holes so I could put the studs into them.

So now that the front is ready, I needed some rear springs so I could install it, so ...

Out goes the rear suspension

I got RuffStuff frenched hanger kit, and his simple swap kit, I like the 5/8" u-bolts better then the 9/16" that everyone else was using.

63" mocked up

axle back out to weld in spring perches

final mounting

and I had to bend the lip on the gas tank to clear the 63" hangers

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and how it sat for a couple weeks while I got all the front stuff ready

and the front ready to get chopped.

all IFS un-bolted

chopped off

ground smooth

While researching, I came across the front IFS frame plates, and decided if I wanted to do it, i should do it now, before shock hoops and brake lines are mounted, so,

front RuffStuff frame plates

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
front axle test fit

didn't like how the front springs sat, so added a chevy leaf

plated the new spring hanger crossmember

and how it sits now

I started clearancing he front C.V. tonight, I am gonna go square front shaft, just need to go get the tube on payday, and the steering box still needs to be mounted.

I was trying to get the front end done over the weekend, but even with my buddies plasma, the cleaning of the frame rails was a PIA.

To DO list hopefully for this week and weekend,
- Front Driveshaft
- Install Front brake lines
- Mount Steering box, I am using a Flat pitman arm
- Build shock hoops and mount shocks

AS long as I can stay motivated on this thing, We should be taking it out to flex it out in a couple weeks and see if my welds hold up, :grinpimp:

It also looks to be about an inch high in the front, so I will be installing a zero rate in the rear to level it out.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Nice write up, I love pictures. Keep up the good work.

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
good start.

i like the tattoo
What Tattoo??

Is the bearing on the left from rock auto? And do you have a part number for it?
TIMKEN Part # 30303 0.6693 Cone Bore; 0.5512 Cone Width; 1.8504 Cup Outer Diam; 0.4724 Cup Width

$15.28 today

you can actually look it up on rockauto, 1984 toyota 4runner, under steering, then knuckle bearing.

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like you're havin a good time.. :beer:

Have any pictures of your finished spring hanger for the chevy springs??
here you go, the 2x4 tube on the rear is what my bumper attaches to, I still need to add some reinforcement from that to the frame.

took some time to cut it out, because my slider support tube was right where the front hanger wanted to be.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts