Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 4runner, that will not start. PO replaced starter and pulled it up between motor and firewall, afterwards it ran rough, fooled with the wires going to EFI and now it won't start. I can spray gas in the intake and it idles great. But when it won't start, I can loosen the bolt on top of the intake and when I turn the motor over it shoots gas out. Any help?

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
thopper said:
I just bought a 4runner, that will not start. PO replaced starter and pulled it up between motor and firewall, afterwards it ran rough, fooled with the wires going to EFI and now it won't start. I can spray gas in the intake and it idles great. But when it won't start, I can loosen the bolt on top of the intake and when I turn the motor over it shoots gas out. Any help?

This scenario has been beat TO death the last 2 months.. Do some searching..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the searching I done, did not have this situation, may not have entered the right words, but that's the bottom line. I posted hoping to get someone knowledgable who could point me in the right direction, not bash it. Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
First thing when you ask a question is to proof read what you wrote. Make sure people understand what you are saying.

Like how can it idle fine if you can't start it??:confused: What do you mean by PO...Pissed off, Power Outage, Pulled Out,Pay Off...?? :p

Anyway your problem looks like a starter problem, like crash said it has been covered many time this past week. search for "Starter"

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry for any confusion
I can spray gas in the intake and it idles great. It won't crank unless I spray the gas in the intake.
PO-previous owner, or could be pissed off owner of truck that won't crank
I will try "starter", thanks.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
thopper said:
sorry for any confusion
I can spray gas in the intake and it idles great. It won't crank unless I spray the gas in the intake.
PO-previous owner, or could be pissed off owner of truck that won't crank
I will try "starter", thanks.
I'm begining to think that you have a carb engine?

Sorry if I don't understand but you are saying that the engines turns over but will not start? OR The engine starts if you put gas in the air intake?

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
I think I figured it out...

When the PO took out the starter, he ripped the ground wire for the fuel injectors... When fiddling with the wires, the ground wire's connection broke completely, and now it won't run at all.

Try jumping the fuel pump connector (search for the instructions). If it still won't start, look at where the 2 halves of the intake meet. On the 3rd intake runner, the bolt there should have a wire connected to it. Tear into the harness there, and look for damage on that wire. Fix it, and it should run well again.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DRTDEVL followed it, I will try that right now. Sorry for not stating everything, it is a EFI, the only way the thing will run is if I spray gas in the intake. If I don't spray gas in it, it will just spin over and not crank.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
thopper said:
DRTDEVL followed it, I will try that right now. Sorry for not stating everything, it is a EFI, the only way the thing will run is if I spray gas in the intake. If I don't spray gas in it, it will just spin over and not crank.
oK now we are getting somewhere. You've got a fuel problem. Either the pump is not pumping the fuel enough or the injecters are not opening up.Time to inspect the solenoid resistor with a multimeter if it opens up...

·
Registered
315 Posts
no start

By chance do you have the intake tube connected from the Air cleaner box (afm) to the throttle body? If not, that is your problem. The fuel pump is energized when the engine vacuum opens the flap inside the afm. With out that signal the pump won't run. Let me know.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
i'd double check the 2 grounds on the intake manifold side. there's one that bolts to the head through an intake bolt, and another where the 2 halves of the intake manifold bolt together. make sure he didn't break one. i know i left the first one off when i did the head on my blue runner and it'd spin over forever but no start. figured that out and it cranked right up. and check the vacuum lines as well.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've got the intake tube connected, I jumped the fuel pump connector today, could hear the gas, but still wouldn't crank. Will use a test light tomorrow to see if the injectors are "firing". Will search for solenoid resistor.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
SlamChops said:
i'd double check the 2 grounds on the intake manifold side. there's one that bolts to the head through an intake bolt, and another where the 2 halves of the intake manifold bolt together. make sure he didn't break one. i know i left the first one off when i did the head on my blue runner and it'd spin over forever but no start. figured that out and it cranked right up. and check the vacuum lines as well.

Do you have pic of this? I'm curious and I don't know exactly what you mean...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, no multimeter, but I took off the solenoid resistor and put it on my 85 and it ran perfect. I checked the grounds where the intakes join, looked fine, but I ran a jumper wire from where the wires come out of the firewall going under the hood, straight to the bolt, still wouldn't crank. I put a test light on the injectors, they all were hot. When I turned the engine over the light never changed. The only difference I found between the 87 and 85 is this. About 1/2 back between the intake and the head, there is a connection that mounts vertical. On the 85, I don't have any fire, on the 87 the test light pulsates. The truck will crank for just a second, but I believe it is coming from the cold start relay.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
did you take off the intake manifold for any head work?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
thopper said:
Ok, no multimeter, but I took off the solenoid resistor and put it on my 85 and it ran perfect. I checked the grounds where the intakes join, looked fine, but I ran a jumper wire from where the wires come out of the firewall going under the hood, straight to the bolt, still wouldn't crank. I put a test light on the injectors, they all were hot. When I turned the engine over the light never changed. The only difference I found between the 87 and 85 is this. About 1/2 back between the intake and the head, there is a connection that mounts vertical. On the 85, I don't have any fire, on the 87 the test light pulsates. The truck will crank for just a second, but I believe it is coming from the cold start relay.
Your'e really confusing!!! what you have 2 trucks now?? I will not go into detail anymore but here is what you need to check if you don't have power at the injecters:
ignition fuse(7.5amps)
coil igniter(try another one and ground the bracket)
30 amp fuse
EFI mair relay.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts