Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has done this? What works? I want to FOR SURE put a header and flowmaster on the truck and am considering the MANAFRE 38 carb that uses stock linkage and air cleaner. They claim their dual float on a single arm is superior on steep angles.
http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_accessories/webercarbs.htm

Maybe a cam too. Anybody able to tell me what works? Should I keep it smog legal or just rip the $hit out? What works? Daily driver and weekend warrior off road. No smog in my state.

·
Registered
10,370 Posts
Waddup Hawaiian:flipoff2: (friendly gesture)

You need to do a search on each component you asked about and you should find that most of these topics have been discussed at length. I'm no expert but there are MANY here and here's what I've learned watching them beat each other to death with Cruiser knowledge.

1. The header will provide moderate improvements & introduces tons of heat under the hood, some have gone back to a stock manifold after installing a header.

2. The purists here believe that the only thing better than a stock Aisin carb is fuel injection, A man named Jim Chenowith is a TLC carb guru and will build one to your requirements and mail it to you for a small fee.

3. No smog here either but I'm not about to enter the spaghetti jungle and tear that stuff out, IF you ever have to sell it might be an issue.

4. I hear that the Flowmaster sounds great behind the 2F.

5. beware MAF...................pretty catalogue....................shitty service & high prices.

just my two cents, surely someone will disagree;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the warnings. I dont want to make the same mistakes. Will the header cause more vapor lock? The carb I have on there is stock and just got tuned 5 times to pass emissions. It finally passes but runs like $hit. It takes forever to start and I hate how it bogs unless its warmed. I just want to know what works best, I want my 20 or so more HP/Lbsft and better mileage. I just dont want to experiment. How can I find the Jim Chenowith guy?

·
Banned
471 Posts
header and cam

I would like to suggest that if yo got a six into one header then
had it HPC coated then your under hood heat would drop significantly!! It will also increase HP by increasing the scavenging
affect of combustion and making things more efficient. As far as a
cam, you can get the ones from MAF or Clifford(better of the two),
But they will both be an RV grind cam and good low end slight
loss of top end.(not that it matters) As far as fuel and carburetion
I personally would go with the Downey adapter to the 4.3 TB,
and go to the wrecking yard for the TB and wiring and computer
and do it yourself. Also the key to the power is to have an HEI
distributor to take advantage of the injection!! There is a certain
part # that I know that will BOLT IN!! It's an oe GM HEI dist.
You'd have to buy the coil, cap, rotor, coil cover, plug wires.
new ND or NGK plugs, and a GM dist. holddown. Just did one
whole conversion yesterday, W/O the injection, and it was torquey!!! I was extremely surprised!! If you want more info, let
me know how I can help.:cool:

Kruzrtek
[email protected]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts