Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have swapped main harnesses in my 2wd pickup project vehicle and now I don't get any power. Key in acc. and everything is fine ... key in run and everything is dead. I put on a 85' 4x4 cab, stripped it's harness out and put in a 86' 4Runner (full load) harness. Engine is from an 86' (with ECU)

I was thinking of putting a truck harness back in but only have access to a 88' pickup harness. Visually I only see the diagnostic connectors and O2 sensor.

Is there any reason I would not be able to install the 88' Truck harness into the 85' cab and run an 86' engine? I will make the proper provisions for the O2 sensor in my exhaust.

Thanks for you suggestions

PS. I will also take suggestion on how to diagnose the issue I am having with the 4Runner harness installed :)

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
dkirkup said:
I have swapped main harnesses in my 2wd pickup project vehicle and now I don't get any power. Key in acc. and everything is fine ... key in run and everything is dead. I put on a 85' 4x4 cab, stripped it's harness out and put in a 86' 4Runner (full load) harness. Engine is from an 86' (with ECU)

QUOTE]

In that case it could be several things: bendix wire at starter, neutral start switch, dead battery, missing ground. Check the first 2 on my list first!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would have to rule out the neutral start swith and dead battery, battery is good and the neutral start switch is only used in the start position of the circuit ... I don't even get that fare along with troubleshooting. The key is in the second position, not even turned all the way to start.

I am going to re-check all the grounds and then try once more befor swapping the harness out.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
If everything has no power then what have you connected to the + on the battery? Did you connect the 80 amp white wire? this wire goes to the engine fuse box...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I have that power connected ... everything is fine in the accessory position (radio, alarm, etc.) which rules of the 80 amp fues as the problem. When I switch to run (not actually truning the key turn the starter over) everything goes dead

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Did you sand down the battery posts, grounds to the engine block, firewall to valve cover etc?

When that is done Check the white wire on the fender(driver side) where there is a 10mm bolt that connects the two together(in a little plastic cover) This wire goes to the Alternater.Trace it and make sure it doesn't touch anything.

Check your 15 amp engine fuse. Replace it.

If you still don't have any power then your ignition switch is surely not sending any contact from accessory to ign. Replace it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts