Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently bought an 87 Jeep YJ restoration project with a Chevy 5.7i V8 engine installed. The ECM is missing so Im trying to locate where I can buy one. Can anyone tell me where i would be able to buy one? Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any idea on what year the engine is? TBI? Tuned Port? Vortec, LS????

Pictures will help.
Thanks for your reply!
I dont know the year of the engine or any other technical specs etc. Maybe the attached photos may give you an indication approximately of the year etc? I can take more photos of specific engine parts if that may give you an indication of the year etc? Thanks for your help.
Chevy engine.JPG
chevy engine1.JPG
chevyengine2.JPG
chevyengine3.jpg
chevyengine4.jpg
Jeepengine5.PNG
jeepengine6.PNG

·
Registered
705 Posts
You have the Tuned Port Injection engine, probably mid 80' to early 90's Camaro, Firebird or Corvette. Some have a mass air flow sensor, others don't. Yours does not appear to have one. Guessing it might be a 1990 or 1991 since no mass airflow but still has a rear distributor. The ECU connector does not match the ECUs from a '85 nor up to a '91, they have two connectors. The GM ECUs are normally installed inside the vehicle as they are not sealed. That pictured connector actually looks like the stock one from the '87 Jeep Motorcraft ECU, which also usually is inside the vehicle near the heater and glovebox. The connector goes in through the firewall near the heater hoses and has an oval grommet if that's the Jeep ECU connector. If you see wires going into the firewall where that one went, maybe they mounted the GM ECU where the original one was mounted??

Info on Chebbie Tuned Port engines is all over the place, this is one site:

You might be able to figure out what year it is from casting dates. If you don't find the ECU inside the vehicle, you can find stock ECUs at the local junk yard or rebuilt ones at a parts store, once you figure out what year it is. Also matters if you have a manual trans or auto trans for the PCM. (I see your auto trans dipstick in the pics) when you are looking for one. Howell Engine developments can make you a custom ECU and a PROM to match. They are on this site in the vendors section.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You have the Tuned Port Injection engine, probably mid 80' to early 90's Camaro, Firebird or Corvette. Some have a mass air flow sensor, others don't. Yours does not appear to have one. Guessing it might be a 1990 or 1991 since no mass airflow but still has a rear distributor. The ECU connector does not match the ECUs from a '85 nor up to a '91, they have two connectors. The GM ECUs are normally installed inside the vehicle as they are not sealed. That pictured connector actually looks like the stock one from the '87 Jeep Motorcraft ECU, which also usually is inside the vehicle near the heater and glovebox. The connector goes in through the firewall near the heater hoses and has an oval grommet if that's the Jeep ECU connector. If you see wires going into the firewall where that one went, maybe they mounted the GM ECU where the original one was mounted??

You might be able to figure out what year it is from casting dates. If you don't find the ECU inside the vehicle, you can find stock ECUs at the local junk yard or rebuilt ones at a parts store, once you figure out what year it is. Also matters if you have a manual trans or auto trans for the PCM. (I see your auto trans dipstick in the pics) when you are looking for one. Howell Engine developments can make you a custom ECU and a PROM to match. They are on this site in the vendors section.
Thats really helpful info, thanks very much! I will check if the ECU is installed inside the car. I actually live in Tenerife, the Canary islands (Spain) so parts for vehicles like these are quite rare. The jeep was imported to Germany by a US military guy working there about 20 years ago. If the ECU isn't mounted inside It shouldn't be a problem to order one from the US. I will let you know how I get on. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Marty is correct. I have that same engine in my Jeep. If you have anymore questions I can try to assist. That engine code is L98 by the way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Marty is correct. I have that same engine in my Jeep. If you have anymore questions I can try to assist. That engine code is L98 by the way.
thanks very much! I’m still waiting to check if the ECU is located inside the jeep because it’s stored at my friends house at the moment. Is it possible to know what year the engine is by the engine code? Thanks again, Gavin

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Hi Marty, thanks for your help you were absolutely right, the ECU was hidden under the dash. Strange thing is the old redundant jeep ECU conector is still powered!
I now have to figure out why there’s now power to the fuel pump, any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Here's a link to a typical Tuned Port injection fuel pump system.

Check all the fuses, first. there might be a jumper wire near the fuel pump relay that you can jump to battery plus to see if the pump will run. Also, usually the oil pressure switch will interrupt the fuel pump circuit, as seen in the wiring diagram. If you find oil inside the electrical connector of the pressure switch, it is usually bad.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's a link to a typical Tuned Port injection fuel pump system.

Check all the fuses, first. there might be a jumper wire near the fuel pump relay that you can jump to battery plus to see if the pump will run. Also, usually the oil pressure switch will interrupt the fuel pump circuit, as seen in the wiring diagram. If you find oil inside the electrical connector of the pressure switch, it is usually bad.
Great info Marty, this will really help.... thanks very much!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts