Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bad Habit Build

Think this is all in order, if not I'll edit or add bits.
I had a '93 Grand Cherokee, and got bit by the 4wheelng bug. In Maine you can't legally do shit to a Grand, and I knew I'd want more.
I searched for something with solid axles front/rear specifically for wheeling (not knowing what would eventually be built from it)
Beware, some stuff here isn't "proper" and will probably lead to eminent failure if you listen to other people - but it's what I've done.

Started life as a stock '87 TinTop I bought for $300 (May 2005)





There some 225s on there and brought to NEWJO's Spring Fling - 1 week after I bought it.
Later, built a new front bumper





 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Swapped in some YJs (still SUA)
Built all the parts myself





Got some custom cut Thornturds (33s), replaced the bend rockers with some square tube, and cut the fenders
Also added Calmini 5.14 gears and a separate skidplate







 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New rear bumper



Now Aug 2006, added a T-Max 9000 winch

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Got some Toyota axles, re-geared to 5.29s (welded rear, aussie front) Also went SOA
I don't remember exactly when, but eventually the stock Toyota tie-rod did a U move. I got it straightened out and sleeved it with some black pipe. Held great until I replace it with full hydro.




Got some bald 35s



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Out with the old 1.3


In with the 1.6


At this point, I had broken 2 stock birfields so I replaced with 27spline Longs.
These were some early ones that were possibly machined wrong(?) and were super tight - Bobby did some magic and replaced them for me.


Notice I didn't put any money into aftermarket parts for the stock Sami axles - knew they were coming out eventually
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also got tired... actually tired of the steering - that's right, still had manual steering with the 35s, so with a Tracker pump, Toy IFS box and a custom draglink... I had power steering finally!



Luckly I already had a trailer to drag this around, as I had plans to build an exo, even bought the tube for it.

and this happened...




 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Top came off, cage went in
the rear fenders didn't stay though I wanted them, couldn't make em look good.






At this point, my less than 100hp was killing YJ springs


so I got this - the whole rear frame section of a Spidertrax 1/4elliptical setup
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,110 Posts
Hurry up Mikey, youve got a lot more story to tell.

Im suprised you never put a traction bar on that thing to keep the YJs alive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
March 2008
used the new frame section to get 10" more wheelbase, and got some used 36" Iroks
btw - Yes, I did the frame/link outside, in winter, in the snow, on the lawn




Extended the front of the frame, lost the bumper and missing links



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A few wheeling shots to finish off 2008







 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
front sheetmetal, rockers, and some more stuff was cut off and replaced
even narrowed the hood
bald Iroks replaced with some Creepie Crawlers
also got an Odyssey 925 battery




 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got quite a few comments about the 1/4elliptical
It's just a 3link like most others. The springs just hold the weight. They could be swapped for coils, air shocks, coilovers...
More than a few times I people have said "Your spring is broken" but I'd reply "It's just what it does"
There wasn't much up-travel, but it drooped a lot, these pictures aren't quite fully flexed

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Also during the winter I lost the Tracker 5spd as I was tired of the clutch and put in a 3spd auto. It's a 4wd version without the t-case, using the Trail Tough "adapter" on the output to use it as a 2wd.
It's been working good, but sometimes I miss revving it up and dropping the clutch. Still fighting with some water contaminated fluid, but it's working.

This summer, thought more wheelbase would be better


Got a deal on a bender



New (used) seats and mounts


16" air shocks in the rear


Chopped the front of the frame off


Some hydro steering


approximate new stance (14" front air shocks)


Some more bracing in the front
motor mounts are stock on the engine with material welded to them and a YJ spring bushing.
Worked all summer but was told they would eventually fail


built a new cowl
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Did the shocks cheap - filled with ATF and had Tire Warehouse charge them to 120psi of CO2
On the trailer


wheeling shot
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
oh yeah, just weighted it...
probably 3/4 full gas
no tools
no driver
put the Iroks back on

2460lbs
 
1 - 20 of 90 Posts
Top