Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
87 Ranger front bodymount bolts wont come out, I've tried heat, pounding with mini sledge, and PB Blaaster! I'm doing urethane body mounts as mine are toast and have all of them out except the front two. The factory washer w/metal tubes are rusted together bigtime.

Do I have to cut these out and buy new bolts?

·
3d Artist for Hire!
19,323 Posts
Nate C said:
Do I have to cut these out and buy new bolts?
Couldn't hurt, could it???

Also there's something better than wd-40, but I can't remember the name of it--I'm sure someone on here knows what I'm talking about. Maybe a good soaking of that stuff might make things go a little easier.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Re: Re: 87 Ranger front bodymount bolts wont come out!!!

animator said:

Couldn't hurt, could it???

That's what I'm thinking.

You can try some real penetrating oil, and maybe a little heat, but that's no fun when the bushing starts spewing toxic smoke!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Re: Re: Re: 87 Ranger front bodymount bolts wont come out!!!

Breath deep!

Nobody said:

That's what I'm thinking.

You can try some real penetrating oil, and maybe a little heat, but that's no fun when the bushing starts spewing toxic smoke!

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Way better than wd40...it's PB Blaaster! Used it overnight twice. Already burned the bushings out.

I guess I'll just cut the heads off the bolts and go from there...didn't want to buy new hardware if I don't have to.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I remember doing these on my old 85 bronco 2. I found some of the mounts were rusted together and reverse thread, so be careful before you destroy something...

If you have to wreck them, what's the worst it's going to cost you for 2 long bolts, grade 5 or 8? Couldn't be more than eight or so bucks...

Adam

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Adam,
Yeah, just don't want to spend if I don't have to. Oh well, gonna cut the bolts now, have to look through my bolts before I go to the store.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Good Luck, Nate.

I do know what you mean about wanting to save the money........

Adam

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DOH, the f**king front upper washer with built in sleeve was threaded onto the bolt and wouldn't come out because the washer was spinning in the bushing and quite rusted together!

I wasted one of the washer/sleeves but may just cut off the narrow necked down part and use a 1/2" bolt and nut to replace the metric stuff that was there.

BTW nice of ford to design this so that it catches and holds water and rusts into one solid piece...

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Done!

FYI the front two body bolts thread into the metal washer sleeves from the bottom and are then torqued to 55-75 ft/lbs....then the top nut (that actually holds the body on) is installed and torqued to about 35 ft/lbs.!!! DOH!

Anyways it's done and I just cut off the lower rusty part of the sleeve/washers (the sleeve is tapered so cutting off the lower part allows the larger bolt to fit) so that I could fit some 4"x5/8" diameter fine thread grade 5 bolts through from the top....installed locknuts and done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts