Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a pair of Toy 87 Ex. Cab Rear Leafs and I was wondering if I could replace my rear leafs out of my Toy 90 Ex. Cab with the 87's (Rust reasons). From the looks of things, they appear the same, they measure out the same, but I would like to ask before I start unbolting my old ones. Just wanted to make sure I wouldn't run into any unexpected problems.

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
2wd or 4wd? Also, I thought that the rear springs changed length in 1989?

Newer Body style=Longer rear's

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
Moved it back 1.5 inches????

Flame suit on

Check.

Fire retardant helmet

Check.

O.k. I'm prepared. I thought rears up front moved the axle forward?

·
Registered
570 Posts
If memory serves the 88 and older are 48" and the 89 and up are 51" But from the front eye to the pin is a inch diff with the 88 and older being 20.5" and the 89 and up being 21.5 thus moving the axle forward an inch

CJ

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Fire retardant helmet

Check.

O.k. I'm prepared. I thought rears up front moved the axle forward?

If he was putting them up front. BUT he's not.

If they are the same spring they will bolt right up.
Imagine that.:D

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
Look at me and my inability to read fully.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
TablerockToy said:
If memory serves the 88 and older are 48" and the 89 and up are 51" But from the front eye to the pin is a inch diff with the 88 and older being 20.5" and the 89 and up being 21.5 thus moving the axle forward an inch

CJ
Think about it. If the distance from the hanger increases (89 and up), the hanger hasn't moved, so the axle moves back, thus lengthening your WB :D (mmummerfaaawkinnnewbie......)

·
Registered
570 Posts
BrianR said:

Think about it. If the distance from the hanger increases (89 and up), the hanger hasn't moved, so the axle moves back, thus lengthening your WB :D (mmummerfaaawkinnnewbie......)
Ya that would be right exept he wanting to put the 48" spring in place of the 51" spring thus shortning the wheel base(mmummerfaaawkinnnsmartass):flipoff2: :D You go ahead and get you shots in 2 more posts and no more newbie!!!

CJ

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OOP'S said:
Yeah you can use them on the back if you make a new mount and weld it back on he frae!!! But why!!!!!:rolleyes:
Cause my 90 rear's are rusted to hell and I'm not talking about a little surface rust. Found a website (Rubicon Outfitters) that sells the rears in a 4 inch lift format for $90.00 a pop. Anywhere that I could get cheaper rear leaf springs? All-Pro's are substantially more than $90 a piece so that is out of the question. Not looking at changing out my shackles or hanger so I'm thinking going with a 89-95 spring. Thanks for all the input

1 - 12 of 12 Posts