Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 87 Toyota 4-Runner 4X4 recently. The owner thought the T-Case was broke, after a further inspection I found burnt transmission fluid when I had Drained the T-Case. When I was draining the transmission (340H), I was displeased to find no transmission fluid in the primary pan. But it had what looked to be burnt fluid in the 4-Speed pan" Smaller Pan Closer to T-Case"? Is it the Transfer Case, the transmission or both of them in your opinion? `

·
Registered
423 Posts
They dont use atf in transfer case in an 87. You lost the seal between trans and transfer case.

With no fluid...and burned fluid in t case....your looking at tearing both down.
There is no magic fix. Get your tools and Factory Service manual out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The ATF does go in both. The Trans and T-case share the same fluid. If one went then they both likely need to be rebuilt due to sharing the ATF. It is really simple to swap in a W56 and be done with it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Old boy is right. Im wrong. Looked it up for ya. It get atf .

Your stuff is smoked more than likely.

·
Registered
999 Posts
The auto's tranny/t-case functions as a single unit sharing fluid. Just one more reason they suck.

Another thing to look into would be the tranny cooler. See if it's holding fluid and if there are any kinks in the lines.

·
Registered
999 Posts
It is a tiny cooler....no kninks...i can not even find where it lost the f
luid.but believe it came out of the vent....
I meant antifreeze. I was thinking it might just be worth filling the tranny up with atf to see if it still works. But you would need to solve the mystery of the burned fluid first. The only thing I can think of that would cause the atf to blow out the vent or burn would be a problem with the cooler.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts