Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Doing the manual trans swap with a 3.4 clutch and flywheel, will be doing a 3.4 in the near future...I havent found ANY info on the manual swap in the FAQ or searching. Aside from waiting on a couple parts that I didnt get together already (1 flywheel bolt, speedo sender, t-case shifter). I dont know if Im going to have to hack the floor, but it looks like it will fit through the hole already there for the auto, and from what I have seen of other MT runners (as well as my memory serve) the hole looked the same.
I've already got the pedals in, the clutch master, got the old auto stuff out, and am just waiting on a damn flywheel bolt.
If you have any tips or tricks on this swap Im interested...

·
Registered
315 Posts
I swapped the A340H for a five speed in my '90 Runner a couple months back.

Three holes will have to be put in the firewall to mount the master cylinder and pedal assembly. You will need the pedal assembly from the stick shift, the automatics don't have the provisions to mount a clutch pedal.

The hole on the floor will require slight enlarging. Just use the shifter boots as the template when you get it all in and cut away.

Try to get the chassis side of the plugs for the 4wd and backup lights so that you can solder them in and have it all look factory.

The mounting position for the transfer case may move, requiring crossmember modification.

Other than that, it's all bolt in.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
issues

Well when I did the swap I didnt get around to the electrical part... I just took the neutral saftey switch and set it to the park position, then stuffed the tcm up under the stereo... problem solved... figured I would deal with that shit later.... well its later, I want to get it straightened out... I tried to figure out what wire to the ecm I needed to mess with to make the ecm think its in neutral(and thus start), and what I needed to do with the wire to the cruise (ground or positive...), as I have no cruise right now(cruise doesnt work when you're in park!) Anyhow, if you have dealt with this swap before, let me know what you did for this stuff... thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am in the middle of doing this same swap~ 88 4runner (origionally with auto) now 5vz from a t100 and a 5speed from a 91 donor. Trying to hook up the clutch electrical the right way but i am at a loss as to where i need to go next. Any insight as to what wires i need to jump?

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I am in the middle of doing this same swap~ 88 4runner (origionally with auto) now 5vz from a t100 and a 5speed from a 91 donor. Trying to hook up the clutch electrical the right way but i am at a loss as to where i need to go next. Any insight as to what wires i need to jump?
Yes. Please search noob. You aren't the first to do this for Christ sake.

·
Premium Member
29,405 Posts
what electrical are you looking for in the clutch :confused:

neutral start switch, but if you have a donor just use the donor wiring harness and lay it all in there

1 - 9 of 9 Posts