Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a 1st gen 4runner. I found one for sale but the seller says the transmission shifts very quickly from third to overdrive. Any thoughts on what the problem is? Expensive fix? Also, it shimmies at about 55 mph. Any thoughts on that? It's a two hour drive away so I have not driven it yet. I'm looking for a vehicle that might need some work but I don't want to get in over my head, or into a money pit. Thanks in advance for helping another newbie out.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
The trans problem is most likely a solenoid. I think that trans uses 3 of them. I have never replaced them, so I don't know how difficult it may be. Call Toyota and find out what they cost (it seems like there around $100 ea). As far as the shimmy goes, it could very well be a bad tires, out of balance, or even a bad wheel bearing. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
My 85 runner does the same thing (tranny). I only gave 700 bucks for it so im really not concerned. Ive been just drivin the sucker. I use it primarily for huntin and fishin and have as of late been drivin it to work (45mi one way). The tranny is starting to shift better. I guess it is due to just driving the thing,because when i got it it hadnt been driven very much just around the farm and such.. Im still thinking what to do about it when it kicks the bucket but the damn thing has got 258000 mi on it!!! It just want die!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts