Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advice on main bearing replacement for a Toyota 1kd-FTV 3ltr diesel. I have about 100k miles on a diesel lump I'll be installing in my 88, and am going to do some preventative maintenance before the engine is installed, mainly...uh..mains and connecting rod bearings. Does Toyota make their own crank bearings?

I have the OEM part numbers for the bearings, but do i need to order OEM, or are there reputable companies I could get the same bearing from without the Toyota tariff?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Have you pulled the bearings and inspected them? I'd say there's a 99.99999% chance they are fine. I've seen main bearings come out of a dodge 340 motor that were over 40 years old that still looked new. They were used to rebuild the motor in my uncles Dart.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the speedy response.
No, I haven't looked at the bearings yet. I am acting on the advice of a diesel mechanic, as he recommended putting new bearings in to restore oil pressure due to the mileage. He insists its good practice since this is a bit of an exotic lump this side of the pond. I have to pull the oil pan and modify it in order to clear the SFA anyhow, so I will be into the bottom end.

·
Premium Member
29,254 Posts
If you are going to pull a couple, pull them all.

when you pull them, measure them directly or at very least check the gap with some plastigauge against whatever the spec is.

I wouldn't hesistate to run any off brand as far as bearings go, not really sure what the hell they could do different vs getting them from toyota :confused:

·
Banned
7,219 Posts
Thanks for the speedy response.
No, I haven't looked at the bearings yet. I am acting on the advice of a diesel mechanic, as he recommended putting new bearings in to restore oil pressure due to the mileage. He insists its good practice since this is a bit of an exotic lump this side of the pond. I have to pull the oil pan and modify it in order to clear the SFA anyhow, so I will be into the bottom end.
Ignore everything that "mechanic" has to say.

·
Premium Member
29,254 Posts
to clarify, i didn't mean to pull one vs all in replacement, but to inspect. If you just pop off say cap and main #1 and they are good, well #4 could be scored, so just inspect them all.

It doesn't hurt them any to be installed/reinstalled as long as you keep everything clean and they will probably appreciate a wipe of grease/oil/crisco for startup

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

today we clean the/organize the operating room before surgery. Then I'll remove the trans and get after the 5th gear OD mod since I'll need to order the gears. After the trans removal I'll remove the wheels and drop the whole truck on 6x6s and rmove the coil overs. This will be easier to work on.

Did some cleaning....

Then did more cleaning...

then I decided to torture myself with just seeing where this lump needs to sit....

took some measurements (going to install an electric fan)...

The engine is not sitting in its permanent location, as I have discovered a few issues:
  1. Oil pan hits the front diff at full stuff, i knew I would need to modify the oil pan and sump
  2. Engine mounts seem to be spaced wider and at a slightly different angle on the frame when compared to the mount angle and spacing on the engine
  3. Fab up new mounts to shove engine back about 1", and up another 1.5'.....sooooo.....
    1. While I'm at it may as well do a drive-train lift, so time to hack into the horse collar
  4. Vacuum pump in the front of the engine will be very close to the fan shroud, may have to clearance a shroud
I'm going to fab up some motor mount perches this weekend and hopefully get a solid location for the lump to live. I'll then turn to the oil pan modification.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Motor mounts are now tacked, I discovered that the 1KD factory mounts are a different angle then the frame side mounts on the 88. So, out came the grinder to clearance the mount to give us proper angle so the motor mounts are now in their neutral position, before you could tell they were tweaked to one side. Once I mount the transmission to see where i need to fab up a new trans mount I'll burn the motor mounts in completely, but after taking a bunch of measurements I'm pretty confident the mounts are in the correct spot.
Prado oil pan, well this pan may actually be worse as far as clearance to the front 3rd. The bottom sump comes out on the passenger side so far that the upper 3rd- link on the top of the diff that the oil pan fouls, so another hurdle i thought I had cleared.....

In the meantime, lets start labeling the wire harness, spent a bit making labels and cheat sheets.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.