Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a pretty nice, fair mileage (168,000) 88 Pathfinder SE V6.

Other than keeping it maintained as best as possible and a set of wheels and more aggressive tires I have been thinking about replacing the hubs to a manual type.

I've not read the best things about Warn or Rugged Ridge. But they seem to be the only aftermarket options.

Is there a jdm manual hub that I can swap in? I know Aisin is a popular choice for other jdm trucks. Are Nissan factory hubs Aisin? Or is there anything that will work for my truck?

Just looking for the best option out there.

Any recommendations appreciated.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
There are factory manual hubs. They are beefier then the Warns, but still not bulletproof; I still broke one.

Look on carpart.com and get them shipped to you.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
It was an option, so pickups & pathfinders had them. There are 27 spline and 28 spline versions. I believe the 28 spline came in the 95+ hardbodies. I can't remember for sure, but your pathfinder should be 27 spline.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everything I've seen mentions 27 spline for my truck.

How poorly served would I be with an aftermarket hub? I've also noticed Mile Marker makes them for this truck. I don't plan on serious 4 wheeling in this rig. But there are some rough and rutty roads on some blm land spots where I am in the West Sierras that I may definitely need 4wd on for camping or hunting.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had the mile marker hubs, I found the quality poor and I thought the customer service was terrible. I waited up to 3 or 4 months for warranty replacements.

·
Window Licker
14,758 Posts
The factory manual hubs that were on D21s were made by AVM. I had a pair back in the day. Gave them to someone when I did my axle swap. I actually think he still has them.

Apparently AVM is making the "461" that isn't the same as the orginal, but probably just as good. I didn't even know these were available.
AVM 461 locking hubs fits Nissan Frontier pathfinder Xterra warn 29091 lock outs | eBay

And Rugged Ridge now makes a set too?
Manual Locking Hub Set for 1990 - 2001 Nissan Frontier/Pathfinder #15001.61

And then there's these "4wd Pros":
New Locking Hubs Set of 2 for Nissan Pathfinder Frontier Xterra Titan D21 Pair

·
Window Licker
14,758 Posts
What's funny is all 3 of those look the same. I'm betting AVM designed them and had the manufacturing farmed out to China where they were coped and rebadged.

BTW, I have a set of used Warns with a rebuild kit that I need to get rid of.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts