Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
12,268 Posts
Keep your eye out for a right hand drive hilux steering box. It should bolt in place of the idler arm. Then you just gut the stuff you don't need.

·
ROKRAPR
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I started trying to fit the front Bumper, but I decided it will need some customizing to make me happy. One of them is raising it. As in the MC Thread I redrilled the main bolt holes an 1" lower. I also plan to raise the upper section as well.

As it sits, there is almost 2 3/4" from the grill with the 1" Body Lift.

Redrilled an 1" lower.

I also had a super coupon, so I picked up a $254 Winch. If it claps out I'll rethink my decision. Like always there were 5 different part numbers for the same thing. I hope I picked the right one.

It looks pretty decent :confused: I read a few threads about pulling it apart and re greasing and trying to waterproof it.

·
ROKRAPR
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
You got that for $254? :eek: nice, hope it works, because that’s a steal.
Yeah, thanks. I'll probably put a cover on it to keep it dry as I think water is the number one thing that causes these cheap winches to fail. I didn't find a whole lot of negative reviews on them, so we'll see how it holds up.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Yeah, thanks. I'll probably put a cover on it to keep it dry as I think water is the number one thing that causes these cheap winches to fail. I didn't find a whole lot of negative reviews on them, so we'll see how it holds up.
I put my warn under water a few times, and neglect it only to hope it works when I need it. It’s never let me down yet.

I have also read that of you grease it and upgrade the solenoids, it’s much better off.

Keep up the progress :flipoff2:

·
Registered
250 Posts
I started trying to fit the front Bumper, but I decided it will need some customizing to make me happy. One of them is raising it. As in the MC Thread I redrilled the main bolt holes an 1" lower. I also plan to raise the upper section as well.

As it sits, there is almost 2 3/4" from the grill with the 1" Body Lift.

Redrilled an 1" lower.

I also had a super coupon, so I picked up a $254 Winch. If it claps out I'll rethink my decision. Like always there were 5 different part numbers for the same thing. I hope I picked the right one.

It looks pretty decent :confused: I read a few threads about pulling it apart and re greasing and trying to waterproof it.
My buddy has the 12000lb version and seems to like it with one complaint. The switch in the controller gets hot and self destructs after a few uses replace it with a better rocker or you be holding two wires together on the trail. Build looks awesome

·
ROKRAPR
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Tomorrow I’m going to get to building to front bumper. I swung by HF to pick up some magnets as I needed more than the two I had.

222936DB-AC01-4D34-98A0-A67870249760.jpg

I’ve been using the HF Coupon Database and man there are some good coupons there.

https://www.hfqpdb.com/harborfreightcoupons

Like any good Pirate build, this one is also reverse sponsored by Coors Light and Harbor Freight.

·
ROKRAPR
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Well, those little magnets were pretty useless, but the big ones worked awesome.

Bumper is going together very quickly, and the pieces are fitting together very well.

Once I'm all finished I'll show some good pics of the welds and gussets.

I got it tac'd on the truck and then pulled it to weld it up.

Used an 8' level to align everything.

Piecing it together is pretty easy when everything lines up. The box of pieces is getting smaller :smokin:

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
I like the DIY bumper concept and wish he made one for a 3rd gen 4runner. Granted the price IMO is too steep over some fully built bumpers out there

·
ROKRAPR
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I like the DIY bumper concept and wish he made one for a 3rd gen 4runner. Granted the price IMO is too steep over some fully built bumpers out there
Yeah, even this one, which is pretty basic, was pretty expensive. I think shipping alone was $100.

Still, I'm surprised at how well the pieces fit together,

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
I’ll check it out tomorrow. I see that it has one of those crappy single sheer aftermarket idlers. I don’t feel anything in the steering wheel, so I figured it wasn’t steering related.

I don’t think this front end has seen any love in a while, so I was going to replace everything with OEM stuff. I read 4crawlers page about idler arms, so I think I’m leaning towards Total Chaos, but man it’s expensive :eek:

View attachment 2925104
Do it! Yes it's expensive, but TC makes some badass shit, and you won't have to replace it ever again

·
ROKRAPR
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Fawk yeah bruh, runner been ide
No for 4 hours straight. Playing music and providing light.

Bros be like it “smells like oil maybe you should shut it off.”bitchl”” I don’t need that f negativity in my life.

#whining

·
ROKRAPR
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Yota Truck has been running pretty good. Rear end noise is still pretty bad, doesn't seem to of fixed itself yet. I need to pull it apart pretty soon, but I'll do that when the 63's go in.

I need to get back on the front bumper. I've been dreading all the welding and grinding.

I picked up some new .030 Wire and some new Miller Welding Tips. Hopefully I have enough gas to at least put a dent on the welding. I should get about 1/2 way done tonight.

This pic you can see how I raised the "wings" up and inch to account for the body lift. I still need to add some more pieces.

Lots of welding.

I rebuilt the Yakima Roof Bars. The tubing was rusted pretty bad and all pack rusted. I got new bars and pads. I also anti siezed and cleaned all the hardware as it was rusted pretty bad. Not sure what I'm going to put on it now :confused:

·
ROKRAPR
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Oh man, yeah, those wheels are hideous, they are corroded really bad as well. The tires are so dry rotted they stopped wearing and are terrifying in the rain.

I picked up some Offset 8 year appropriate wheels of Craigslist. Clear is in bad shape, I might sand blast them and powder coat with my HF setup.

I priced out sending them to OMF down in LA and have them converted to Beadlocks, but that was like $350 a wheel.

Wheels also came with like new center caps.

·
ROKRAPR
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Making slight progress. I got about 95% of the welding done. I've run out of Gas and Wire.

Getting ready to start the grinding process. I think my exterior welds are too big and are going to suck to grind down.

Also, picked up some spare front end parts and another set of 4 spoke wheels from MTN Yota.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts