Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 89 1 ton 4x4 chev that I use for towing my fj40. I've been having trouble with the engine.I has no wear near the power it had in the past and it has a terrible miss. When I step on the go pedal it falls on its face like a bad accelerator pump on a carb. This a 454 tbi. I scanned it (snap on scanner) I came up with a code 44 sustained lean condition. It does feel like its not getting enough fuel.

Replaced the egr because I heard they were very troublsome. Didnt help at all.

Any suggestions?

Thanx in advance

Shaun

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Try the throttle position sensor.When they go bad they will act like a bad accelerator pump.

·
Registered
12,166 Posts
Check your fuel pressure also. A clogged filter or bad pump could cause those symptons. I think it needs to be close to 13PSI

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Originally posted by Norm:
<STRONG>Check your fuel pressure also. A clogged filter or bad pump could cause those symptons. I think it needs to be close to 13PSI</STRONG>
I would bet a large some of money that the fuel filter is plugged solid. Its amazing how little fuel they will run on.

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
Does the service engine soon light come on and then go back off while driving? GEt new O2 sensor first

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I replaced the o2 with no luck. I want to check the fuel pressure but I dont see a fitting to put a guage on. Are they hidden somewhere or do I have to connect it in line somehow?

Thank you guys,

Shaun

1 - 7 of 7 Posts