Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Finished off the majority of fabrication and began painting. Added in some side braces tying in to the shock hoops and made a bracket of the cage to hold the power steering res and ignition coil.

Began the reassembly.

Got the winch and radiator mounted. I wanted to keep some of the factory grill so I chopped it down to fit. With the grill in place the winch control box no longer fits on top so moved it right next to the battery mount. Its a very tight fit with everything in. Hood pins re-installed and drilled the holes through the hood.

Started working on wiring, nothing real noteworthy. Just sorting through the harness and trying to remove anything not needed, mostly stuff left over from EFI.

Still need to chop the hood down. I was thinking of rolling the cut edge but not sure if that is going to work out. I may just use some rubber edge trim like I had before on the rear panels.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
The hood louvers did help quite a bit back when it had a turbo. Could always see the heat escaping through them when at stand still. I would suspect they don't do much after I had removed the turbo.

Will try to grab a better pic of the routing in that spot. Haha, no. The afm is long gone. Runs on propane.

Currently have no plans for fenders. I sold the fiberglass but may try something out if I can snag some stockies on the cheap.

·
Registered
682 Posts
The hood louvers did help quite a bit back when it had a turbo. Could always see the heat escaping through them when at stand still. I would suspect they don't do much after I had removed the turbo.

Will try to grab a better pic of the routing in that spot. Haha, no. The afm is long gone. Runs on propane.

Currently have no plans for fenders. I sold the fiberglass but may try something out if I can snag some stockies on the cheap.
That’s what I wanted to hear. Mine will get hot when the ambient is high and I’m cralwin.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
Got a wheeling trip in two weeks so this project is getting wrapped up. Got the rest of the wiring all done and tied up. I did add some small led blinkers on the front bumper to keep it somewhat street legal. Fired it up for the first time in 4 months with no problems. Got the hood cut down and ended up just using some door trim to cover the edges. I think it gives it a clean look. Mounted up the wheels and and got this thing outside and did a quick test drive.

Things left to do:
Adjust the alignment on the steering
Add in a coolant reservoir
Bleed power steering, pump is screaming.

Overall I think it came out great. Better than I could have imagined. Can't wait to see how it does on the rocks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Got the 4rrn on the scales. Weight is trail ready with 2 full propane tanks, spare parts, fluids, and tools. It is fairly heavy but weight distribution is pretty decent and cross weight is almost near 50% I suspect weight without all my gear would put it just under the 4k mark. Might re-weigh without gear but trail ready is what really matters.

F 2247
R 1882
Total 4129

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
do you have any more pic of your turbo propane setup?

Just looking at piping ideas and where the different components were located.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
do you have any more pic of your turbo propane setup?

Just looking at piping ideas and where the different components were located.
Turbo setup was back when it was gas still but piping would be similar for propane
I never really documented it very well. But I was using a stock late 80s supra intercooler as a front mount in the grill. Had to cut core support to make it fit. Inlet/outlet on same side. Top mount log manifold for turbo. You can kinda see the piping in the video, but fairly strait forward.

VIDEO->https://i.imgur.com/casU62R.mp4

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Was in the process of replacing the power steering pump and sorting out what was wrong with the front axle but came across a deal I could not pass up. So that changed up my plans a bit.

Anyways here are the results.
OEM pump had been screaming for some time so I picked up a new PSC pump and reworked the reservoir as it kept leaking.

Began the tear down on the front axle to see why it was making noises and slipping. Found the center pin on the lockright sheared in couple of spots. Gladly it did not harm the ring and pinion or case at all.

On to the big news, snagged a complete diamond housing ready to go with all the goodies built out and full hydro. So began the axle swap.

Got the old axle back together with a new locker and rolled it out. Hi-Lift was used as a safety. Full weight is supported on the stands.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Ordered up an orbital and mounting bracket and got to work. Removed that rag joint in the steering and got things mocked up and welded in. Pretty simple to plumb everything in as I already had hydro assist.

Did run into an issue with the full hydro ram. The bolt going through the clevis was going to hit the leafs at full droop. I ended up just rotating the inner heims 90 deg such that the bolt is horizontal. No longer rubs on the leafs. The axle came with no steering stops on the knuckles so I suspect you want the ram to bottom. The way it sits and cycles there is maybe 1/2in of ram stroke left on both sides. Thinking about adding some limits to ram itself.

Sitting back on its own weight.
Upgrades includeed 6 shooters, full hydro, trunion eliminator and of course the beastly diamondaxle and some other odds and ends. Net of 5in wider.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Looks good with the new width. You may want to gusset all the way up the side of the orbital. They are heavy, that's a lot of weight hanging out there.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts