Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a few pictures of the start of #89. As some of you already know I'm doing this build using a early Ford bronco for a base. I have had the frame media blasted and have removed the extra brackets that I didn't need. The rear frame horns had some damage where the bumper bolts on so I cut that off and added new rear sections and a cross member for the rear spring shackles. I'm heading out next weekend to Apple Valley to pick up the fun part of the build.:D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dana 44 front with a detroit and warn axles with CTM joints a 9" rear with a detroit 4.88 gears in both axles. Mild Ford 302 with mustang EFI and a C4 transmission with a 4.3 atlas behind that. I'm running 37" MTR's with Staun beadlocks. I'll be keeping the coils up front and I run a wristed axle housing that helps the flex out. Just keeping the leafs in the rear for right now. I think that sums it up. :D

·
Not a Wenzelite
36,843 Posts
I didn't realize that EB's have boxed framerails. Also straight from front to back--very narrow should make it easy to "inboard" the rear springs.

I'm ASSuming you've plated and welded the typical weak points on the stock brackets and frame?

EB width or fullwidth?

Must be nice to fabricate it all on a two-post lift!!

Subscribed! :D

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pictures are from the Ford shop I work at, the daily driver is still in the garage.:shaking: Yup the hoist is nice I even hung the frame on it's side for welding, nice to be able to weld everything on a flat surface.:D

·
Registered
141 Posts
Very nice Steve!! Looks like you moved the front spring towers forward a bit, 3-4"?? What's the WB planned?

On a side note, looks like I should be a go for this weekend, pending approval from the Spousal Unit (shouldn't be an issue).
Joe

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup moved them foward 3" planning on 102" WB. Snowing like a SOB here, about 6" on the ground and still coming down!! I've lived here about 10 years and saw my first city snow plow today, I think we have one or two for a city of 45,000.:D

·
Registered
32 Posts
This is cool...i thought to be an F-Toy it had to be a Toyota....I am building one out of a 78 Jeep Cherokee...i just bought the tubing and did my own cage from the blueprints on the Hendrix site....I will be watching this build!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey Horton, it would be cool to see your build thread. Post up. It's not an "official" rig without a Toy drivetrain anyway, but this is a budget class...it would be cool to see Jeep, Ford, Chevy spinoffs.

That's the fullsize Cherokee--Cherokee Chief? Using the entire Jeep drivetrain? 44's f&r, 360, quadratrac?
YEP!...but i only have 35s on it for now...i cant post pics so its hard to show it......

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Picked up #89 this weekend, it was great to meet Jerry and get some good build hints from him!! I made the trip solo with my trusty corgi Ein to keep mme company:D

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey cool to see someone in Farmington building a FToy(somewhat). I really want to build one. I'd like to check out your cage sometime.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yup I've seen it, don't know if he started with the plans to link the front/rear but he should have just bought a X chassis.:D

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got the other project out of the garage today so I can start on the Fbronco:D I know you guys might not give a crap but heres a picture of my old school Bronco:flipoff2: I should have the tubing tied into the frame this weekend.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 119 Posts