Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, yes this is a very general topic haha but i couldnt find what i needed exactly so bear with me here. this is what i got going.

89 chevy k1500 single cab short bed, 6 inch ifs lift (GARBAGE)
freshly painted 1977 ford heavy duty d44 (8 lug)
ORU sas kit
ORU leafs; 6inch front (bracket kit adds 3 inches) and 9 inch springs in the back.
Bullit Proof crossover steering
but no rear axle yet...

i need to get a 14 bolt, but i need the one with 410's stock. also, what is the minimum rim size that i can go with this axle w/the stock drums? and what year and out of what truck can i find this in?

will i need to change anything in my braking system for these axles?

what modifications will i need to make for a rear driveshaft? i have a little dinky 10b right now.

also, what driiveshaft for the front axle will i have to run? ive heard some people say i can get a shaft out of a k5 and just get it lengthened is that true?

what pitman arm will i need to use for my crossover steering? stock? drop, how much?

what length shocks will i need eye to eye?

oh, yes i did run out of spray paint on the hood and roof :flipoff2:

thanks!!

·
Registered
358 Posts
You really need to search, as most of these questions have been answered time and time again.

i need to get a 14 bolt, but i need the one with 410's stock. also, what is the minimum rim size that i can go with this axle w/the stock drums? and what year and out of what truck can i find this in?A 14FF from a 3/4HD or 1-ton SRW of the same body style will be a bolt-in swap as far as shocks and leaf springs go. You'll need a conversion u-joint from your S44 (or maybe 1310) to the 1350 yoke on the 14FF

will i need to change anything in my braking system for these axles?If you run rear drums (which I suggest swapping out for discs) you should be fine. If you do swap to disc rear brakes, you'll want to find a master cylinder from a later model truck with rear discs. You'll also want to plumb new lines to eliminate the OEM proportioning valve and ABS unit. I just used an adjustable prop. valve from Summit Racing.

what modifications will i need to make for a rear driveshaft? i have a little dinky 10b right now.See above.

also, what driiveshaft for the front axle will i have to run? ive heard some people say i can get a shaft out of a k5 and just get it lengthened is that true?I'm using a front drive shaft from an 89 suburban with the pasenger drop NP241. It has been clearanced for higher angle displacement, but is otherwise just the stock 1310 drive shaft. You can also use a driveshaft from a late model Dodge 2500-3500. Those use 1350 series joints instead of the 1310's.

what pitman arm will i need to use for my crossover steering? stock? drop, how much?WFO Concepts has the pitman arm you'll need. It's already been reamed for the larger 1-ton TRE's and will fit your steering box's sector shaft.

what length shocks will i need eye to eyeYou'll probably have to determine that after completing the swap and figuring out how much suspension travel you end up with.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts