Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

First time posting anything as I am at my whits end with my Cruiser. Had it since July 2016, 249K miles. Last fall it started stalling when I come to a stop/put it in gear after warming up. It seems I can drive it out of the yard when cold but when it warms up, it will stall when in gear.

I changed many common parts after diagnosis but none have fixed it yet. So far I changed TPS, Ignitor, cleaned throttle body, change the ECU, rechecked timing, changed the PCV...

I am at the point where a friend/mechanic thinks I start with adjusting the valves and then check the cam to see that the "nobes"? are not warn. Some threads suggest it may be the torque converter locking but my mechanic says that if it were the converter, it would do it when cold as well. I wondered if the higher idle when cold would keep it running when in gear but not when at normal idle.

The threads I've read about the converter say the car will act like stopping in a manual tranny vehicle as if you aren't pushing in the clutch when stopping. That is what my Cruiser is doing.

Any help? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
You will probably get more input at ih8mud.com

fyi this is posted in the wrong section FJ Cruiser =/= Land Cruiser

Sorry I don't have any actual help for you.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Check the fuel pressure regulator, $100 plus at Rockauto. They don't last long. I've killed two in the last year and a half on mine. There is also an idle air control valve that gets gummed up and quits.

You really need a Factory service manual. These things are a royal PITA to troubleshoot if you are used to American iron.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts