Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason my heat/ac controll is stuck on DEFROST and wont swich to anything... Im thinking a vaccume hose is disco, i have loocked at the controll unit its self, and all is good...

Where does the controll unit get its Vaccume from? what part of the engine?

LIMITED 89XJ 4.0 NON-HO

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had the same problem.... I imagine its a vacuum line problem also.... mine's a 94 and one time when I went wheelin, it stuck on defrost... then out of the blue it fixed itself. then out of the blue it stuck again, and once again its fixed itself..... somewhat of a phantom problem. keep your fingers crossed and hope it fixes itself, or else take a look at your controls and see if you can figure it out..... if you do let me know!!! :)

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figured it out...

Well at the passenger side of the front bumper theirs a large canister like bubble, with three hoses, well i tossed the thing with the crapped out front bumper i had, unknowing it controlled both the vaccume for my cruse controll and the defrost/heat/vent swich... I made my own custome port and joined all three lines together...

The large line is the vaccume supply for the two smaller lines, obviously one small line is for the heater controll and the other is to the cruse controll...

I believe the canister was probably an altitude pressure regulator so incase you were running the cruse controll and you gained altitude you wouldnt slow down due to the lack of outer air pressure at high altitudes...

-SMART ASS

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
So I can just hook them all together. Sweet.:D

·
Registered
824 Posts
I've got the same f'in problem but I think I cracked one of the vac hoses where it goes through the firewall. I haven't gotten adventerous enough to tear everything apart ot fix it but it's been pretty damn cold recently so I might just do it soon.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
A lot of XJ guys move that vacuum accumulator (the plastic thing under the front bumper), back into the engine compartment.

Cruise control and air vents are controlled by vacuum and the accumulator enables them to work when the motor is at idle or WOT.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I just made another one from 3" black ABS pipe and two end caps - it fits right between the front rock lights on what is left of my OEM sheet metal cossmember....

Matt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts