Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon everyone! New to the Willys world, and the Pirate 4x4 world as well...even though I've been lurking for quite some time.

So here it goes...A couple of years ago a coworker of mine picked up this late 50's early 60's Willys Wagon and parked it under a tree at our employer. It was a project he fell upon and just sat there for years without moving as he completed rat rod after rat rod. Then a Jeepster made its debut, in running order, right in front of this Wagon. After years of my coworker offering up the wagon project, me going home with all kinds of ideas I FINALLY got the seal of approval to bring it home!!! This wasn't after a few planned 4 wheeling trips out west with teh wife to get her on board with the outdoor/4 wheeling lifestyle.

Plans for the Wagon project include quite a bit of body work, including modifications for larger tires, frame swap, motor/trans swap (5.7 Vortec), 4L60E (For Now) , Dana 60/44 Combo to start, Full on 1 ton swap if I run into a set before I get the currently obtained axles under.

First order of business is to make room in the shop. Then the body comes off the frame, frame / axles / motor get sold off, and the search for a donor frame begins while the body work gets completed.

This is far from being a 1 year project, however excited to get the work started and learning along the way with my Son who has taken quite a liking to the body style (Quite a fan of Son of a Digger)

Looking forward to sharing my progress, and learning along the way!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get a jk frame. Strong and easy to shorten to match wb.
I was looking at that, or an LJ. Seeing the price of the LJ frames and the availability, not to mention the rust issues in my area...I think the JK may be the best bet.

I am looking at extending the wheelbase a bit...more around the 107-110 range most likely. With the JK frame already longer, it should help the process. The photo of the seafoam green Wagon in the first post is off of a 107" Wheelbase. I wouldn't be opposed to an extra 3". Thats what she said

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
105 Posts
Those wagons are awesome, I'll look forward to seeing the progress. Don't feel bad if it takes a long time, my build thread has been going for 6 years.

·
Willys Fan
729 Posts
Great project! Wagons are sure cool. Looking forward to following along on your build!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Be great to see how the build goes.
There has been a few already done on the Old Willys Forum like you are planning.
www.oldwillysforum.com/forum/index.php
Be great to see the build there as well.
I just threw a newb post up there as well the other day. Wasn't sure that page would take so kindly to the chopping of an old wagon for a crawler project

·
Registered
470 Posts
I just threw a newb post up there as well the other day. Wasn't sure that page would take so kindly to the chopping of an old wagon for a crawler project

My build has a great response there and very little is untouched with the all the panel changes and the drivetrain from a WK Grand Cherokee.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts