Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There is a '15 totaled Escalade (rollover) that I'm looking at for a powerplant transplant (6.2, tranny, ecm, wiring, etc).

It has the 8 speed 8L90 automatic transmission and I wonder if it is a good option over the 6 speed 6L80 tranny??

What you guys think?

My '06 LJ is more a fun toy for the family. Not trying to convert it into a full time rock crawler buggy but it'll be the same cost for either tranny. Here specs:

6.2 motor (soon to be)
1 ton axles
5.38 gears and ARB's
40" tires (may upgrade to 42" in the future)
Extended WB
Coilovered
241 transfer case form a Rubicon TJ. In the future (long therm) would like to run an Atlas 4 speed.

Need your thoughts, Gentlemen.

:massey:

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
The 8l90 has a 4.5:1 first gear compared to the 4.0:1 of the 6l90. All the other ratios are tighter and the OD's are taller. It also has a external TCM, where as the 6l90's is internal on the valvebody.

Is that 6.2 engine the GenV? The one with direct injection?

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I believe Cus it says "Spark Ignition Direct Injection (SIDI)"

Is that Good or Bad?

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have both in different vehicles. I have the Gen 5 L86 6.2 with the 6L80 in my JK and it's flat out rips. The 8l80 is a bit less refined in its shifting patterns, but that 4.5 first gear is tempting. Just remember with 40's and that engine and either trans I would do 4.10 axles gears or a very max of 4.56. I have 4.88 and 40" Nittos for the street and wish I went 4.56 or 4.10. When wheeling 1st gear lasts 5 feet at most. I run an atlas 3.1 case for reference.

Given the choice in your LJ I would do the 8L80.

Be warned that the direct injection engines tick loudly and it can be a bit annoying with the top and doors off. But the torque curve makes up for that little gripe.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
There at least one TJ running around with that engine/trans combo. Lots of tub massaging.

·
Registered
1 Posts
if you did go ahead and get a converter and the updated gm/mobil1 fluid and switch them out, they occasionally had a tcc shudder issue at around 30mph and 62mph. mostly due to fluid. it would be kinda cool if you did it tho

·
Registered
19 Posts
There is a '15 totaled Escalade (rollover) that I'm looking at for a powerplant transplant (6.2, tranny, ecm, wiring, etc).

It has the 8 speed 8L90 automatic transmission and I wonder if it is a good option over the 6 speed 6L80 tranny??

What you guys think?

My '06 LJ is more a fun toy for the family. Not trying to convert it into a full time rock crawler buggy but it'll be the same cost for either tranny. Here specs:

6.2 motor (soon to be)
1 ton axles
5.38 gears and ARB's
40" tires (may upgrade to 42" in the future)
Extended WB
Coilovered
241 transfer case form a Rubicon TJ. In the future (long therm) would like to run an Atlas 4 speed.

Need your thoughts, Gentlemen.

:massey:
I am looking to repower my JK due to a blown engine. I was thinking of going this away or an ls3/6l80 depending on availablity of the parts.

If you do decide to go with this I am curious to see how it turns out (build thread!!!) :)

Bryan

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ended up spending all the cash and time building a custom suspension with coilovers all corners and full armor on it... meanwhile there will be more Jeepers doing that drivetrain conversion and availability/prices for it will get better... will have to wait up to 12 months before I save enough $$ to get a salvaged Escalade for a drivetrain swap.

How about you?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well at least you didn't waste any money on a tog rig :flipoff2:
pff.. haha... I'm looking to drive my LJ not tow it... in that pix it was towed because it has non-op plates and needed to bring it at my parents in Cali... however I know sooner or later I will be forced to get a tow truck... but not before I swap an LS drivetrain... hopefully... We'll see...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Can't argue with your priorities. Was hoping you put a Gen V & 8L90 in it - I'm in the beginning stages of planning this myself, but looking at the L83 vs L86 since it has tons of power & uses regular unleaded.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts