Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Thanks tbi. 40 spline was definetly on my list to call, they seem to always be willing to help or our community as well as provide input here on the board. Mark Williams was another I've learned of in the 9" research.

Also found a couple experienced edm shops near Charlotte, with Nascar history. Plan to talk to them as well.
I don't know what size shafts they run in NASCAR, but you may be able to come across some blank lockers or side gears in nascar country.

Or at least get a 31 spline locker side gears cut out to 14b 30 spline.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
have a carrier made for the 9 that holds a 14 detriot
Hoof---have you done this? I'm not a 9" Ford guy, but knowing the size difference between a "187" Detroit and a "225" Detroit, I have to wonder if there's enough room inside the 9" case for a bigger carrier. I have a friend who recently installed a 9" Detroit inside an aftermarket aluminum 9" housing, and he had to take a bunch of material out of the housing around the 3rd pinion bearing. Of course, just because I don't see it doesn't mean it can't happen.

Out of curiosity though, what would be a ballpark price on a custom carrier for something like this? I've been having thoughts of an Ouverson F106 locker in a 14 bolt lately. Not saying I need it, just thinking about it....

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I bet the root diameter of the 14b 30 spline is too small to get 35 out of.
Been trying to teach myself to draw involute splines in CAD. Here's an attempt at 30 spline 14 bolt superimposed over 35 spline Dana. Looks like you're right...root diameter of the 14 bolt isn't quite big enough to do the 35 spline Dana:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hoof---have you done this? I'm not a 9" Ford guy, but knowing the size difference between a "187" Detroit and a "225" Detroit, I have to wonder if there's enough room inside the 9" case for a bigger carrier. I have a friend who recently installed a 9" Detroit inside an aftermarket aluminum 9" housing, and he had to take a bunch of material out of the housing around the 3rd pinion bearing. Of course, just because I don't see it doesn't mean it can't happen.

Out of curiosity though, what would be a ballpark price on a custom carrier for something like this? I've been having thoughts of an Ouverson F106 locker in a 14 bolt lately. Not saying I need it, just thinking about it....
no I have not but I did build a carrier for a 80 with a 47 spline locker I do have a locker for a 106 I will look at this and get back to you

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Since 35spl 14b stuff now exists (nd seems to be an improvement) id think it would be better to switch your 14b to 35spl, build your 9" to 35, and get all shafts 35s. Then diff parts are much more standard
Not to derail but are you saying there are 35 spline 14 bolt carriers out now? Any links or info?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
21 - 33 of 33 Posts