Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a detroit replacing the stock carrier and Alloy USA shafts would 39.5" Iroks be out of the question? 4500lbs'ish 350hp/375ftlb @ the crank. 4.56 gears.

·
Registered
426 Posts
they put em stock in the back of 1 ton vans, the only differnce between a half ton version and a one ton version is the 8 lug ones have bigger wheel bearings. ive got one thats welded in my 88 with a strong 360 in it, 3..23's (4.56's on the shelf, just need time) and its got 36's on it.

i also have on my my 79 short box 2wd that has a 440 in it....

they have both seen allot of abuse and i havent had any problems at all

and if your upgrading axel shafts i'd say you definatly wont have issues

·
Registered
440 Posts
I would rate the strength along the lines of a Ford 9"

·
Registered
78 Posts
You shouldn't have much problem with the combination your looking at if your easy on the pedal. I would say the 9.25" would be very equal to a Dana 60 with 30 splines as far as strength goes.

The biggest problem with the 9.25 outside of it being a "c" clip axle is that there is just no aftermarket interest in them. There are really very few upgrade options available, but you shouldn't have much issue with what your looing to do.

·
Registered
979 Posts
You shouldn't have much problem with the combination your looking at if your easy on the pedal. I would say the 9.25" would be very equal to a Dana 60 with 30 splines as far as strength goes.

The biggest problem with the 9.25 outside of it being a "c" clip axle is that there is just no aftermarket interest in them. There are really very few upgrade options available, but you shouldn't have much issue with what your looing to do.
Four Wheeler had made some comments on the axle a few months back, and they said that it could be possible to cut the ends off a 9" (plus axles) and use a "c-clip" eliminator set up, and it may also be possible to use 9" gears with some machine work...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.