Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, i'm a jeep guy, but i'm looking to swap a 9" into the rear,
my question is will a Nodular 3rd member bolt up to any housing? or do the different housigs and 3rd members have diferent bolt patterns?

also are there any particular vehicles that will for sure have a N 3rd member? gonna go check out the wreckers...

thanks!
:beer:

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
it will bolt into any 9" housing. all have the same pattern.

As for looking for an 'N' case in the 'yards....:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Good fawking luck. Unless you're going to be running a bigblock and/or jumping this thing w/WOT, then I'd just run as late a model 9" pumking as possible. probably not worth your time hunting for one so rare.

Eric

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
I bought a 74 parts bronco a few years back. When I got around to scrapping all the dirt off, much to my surprise was a Nodular 3rd member! I have no idea if that was stock or not.

One of the weak spots on a 9" is the 3rd member around the pilot bearing(end of pinion). I've seen a bazillion of them broken there on stock trucks(worked in junkyard for awhile). I think the Nodular case is necessary for 4wd applications. Unless you want to risk nuking your gears. :nuke:

But as mentioned, good luck finding one. You can probably buy one on Ebay for about $200.

Where they break

Nodular 3rd

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
It may be cheaper to get hold of Currie, Mark Williams, or Randy's for a nodular 3rd member. AFIK, they only came stock on big block supercars (427/428/429 Mustangs and Torinos, 427 Galaxies and Fairlanes, that kind of thing.) They may have been used on early-70's Continentals.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Once again, Eric is right on the nose.

If you insist on going nodular, check out summit and jegs for aftermarket carriers. They are WAY easier to find than OEM Ford. You're a lucky duck Nobody.

Yes, I have seen cases cracked where the pinion nose bearing sits as well. IMO this is caused by sloppy bearings, causing the pinion to get cocked rather than an inherant problem with the standard 9" case.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts