Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scored a Fzj80 rear axle a two months ago for a decent price, now debating if I should swap. I currently have 8" 3rds with 5.29s and arbs so obviously Id have to regear the rear to reuse my front 3rd. Or just use a stock 4.10 3rd that came with the front 80 axle and run the 80 as is until I can regear it with an arb. Is the 80 rear worth it to go through the hassle and major expense if only on 37s?.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, but as I'm looking to swap to a wider front 80 axle (63.5") I can't really use my stock width rear (55") even with spacers.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
No, but as I'm looking to swap to a wider front 80 axle (63.5") I can't really use my stock width rear (55") even with spacers.
Well, that makes sense now. Another option to the FJ80 rear could be to use an E-locker Tacoma rear (60"), sell the E-locker third for about $400 and install your third, and then run 1.5" wheel spacers. The non E-locker Tacoma rearend will not work with your third though.

·
P.B.A.
4,368 Posts
I'd do it you want the width and I'm not an 8" third fan at all (I know it's all in the setup bullshit). And with 37's the extra strength couldn't hurt. And every kid would love to buy an already setup third for their rig.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
I've been running an 80 front and ifs rear with 2" spacers for years. Works great. (63.5"/62")

The full float FJ80 rear is pretty sweet though if you run bigger than 15" wheels. If it were me, I would upgrade the hub studs (same a toyota front) just cause. I did the 7/16" arp bolts on my front, they never come loose and I know I'll never break them.

Personally, since you have the arb already. I would probably just run the 3rd you have in an ifs housing with spacers, and save the fj80 if you start having failures.

Or you could sell both of your current axles to fun gears and lockers in the fj's.

·
Registered
22 Posts
7/16 hub studs are the best thing ever. Mine are just regular grade 8 fine thread. Lock tight and torqued to 90lbs

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have 17" diy deadlocks and 37" Kevlar tires so not a problem with clearing the brakes. May just look for a late 96+ 4runner axle (60" and 8" 3rd) and throw spacers on it and throw the 80ff axle in the parts storage for now. Full float would be sweet but width is what I'd really like for stability on side hills.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts