Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im posting because my daily is down and i need answers fast. i have been googling and pirating for hours and cant find any sort of list saying which vehicles a big bearing ford9 will come out of. also cant find any information as to what vehicles will have factory disk brakes. i have seen a few pics of them existing but there was no specific info on this axle.

also, any other very important information you geniuses are willing to throw at me would be greatly appareciated. i need to get this truck moving again and i need to do this once and for all.

truck:
1990 toyota pickup. completely forged toyota 3.4 v6. supercharged, methanol injected and sprayed. puts down 350 on a 41" irok before the nitrious. i like to crawl when i can but being in south louisiana im constantly being called to yank people out of mud holes.

alright guys, please try not to destroy me to bad!

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
I think the question was what came with a large bearing 9"?
A lot of them easiest to just say the 77-86 ford truck and bronco are for sure big bearing, there are other but some depend on option packages.
Only some of the old lincons came with a factory disc setup and it was junk.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the question was what came with a large bearing 9"?
A lot of them easiest to just say the 77-86 ford truck and bronco are for sure big bearing, there are other but some depend on option packages.
Only some of the old lincons came with a factory disc setup and it was junk.
awesome, so do not waste time looking for a disk brake setup. the truck/bronco axle will have decently inexpensive disk brake options. does the 8.8 disk brakes bolt on to this particular year model axle?

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
The 8.8 "Explorer" discs swap on with some machining.
If you want want a parking brake, everyone sells a caliper bracket to weld on.
What width are you looking for?

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Big bearing 9"s came with 2 different backing plate bolt patterns. The early big bearing and the late big bearing, also called the Torino pattern. They were both in use during the 70's. I think the 80's truck stuff went to the late pattern, but I'm not positive on that.

The Explorer disc backing plates will bolt to the late pattern, but need some minor machining for the early pattern. Axle shafts will need to be late 2.500" brake offset. Early big bearing axles are 2.365" offset. Also need a spacer between the bearing and retainer plate to make up for the thickness of the caliper bracket vs a drum backing plate.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
And the rotors need Redfield to 5x5.5. The aftermarket kits almost all use the El Dorado calipers for e brake. And they suck. Summit has a newer kit out that's pretty damn cheap and it uses e brake calipers. They look like maybe original a Japanese application. Not sure. Never tried it. It's cheap enough to make me say you're safe just finding a truck axle and swapping it to discs later.

The Explorer setup can be cheap depending on how much you pay for the machining. The redrilled rotors are like a hundred bucks each from duff and if memory serves the summit kit is only a hundred or two more than that and it bolts on.

Obviously the truck axles are full width. Some of the other 9's are different widths if you need to stay closer to stock.

If you can't find one you could always buy an Explorer rear 8.8 for now and then swap the brakes over to a 9when you do find one.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow guys! haha thanks thats a huge help. i will be keeping it factory toyota width because i already stick out past the truck 3 or 4 inches. axle measures 58.5"

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Any 9" could be optioned with a limited slip, but a 4 wheel drive truck/Bronco would be more likely for a junkyard find.

The factory Traction-Lok kind of sucks for off road. The 3rd pinion bearing doesn't leave enough room for clutch packs on the passenger side axle, so only the drivers side shaft is clutched.

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
wow guys! haha thanks thats a huge help. i will be keeping it factory toyota width because i already stick out past the truck 3 or 4 inches. axle measures 58.5"
That's early bronco width and getting big bearing early bronco 9" will be costly.
Why go away from the Toyota?
Do you ready have a V6 rear end? Those are decent.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts