Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am trying to pulls the axles shafts out of my 9" (78 Bronco) just to be sure that these are 31 spline axles, but I dont think they have been pulled in years. And when I say that, I wouldnt be surprised if it was a decade or two. Ive heard of bolting the drum on backwards with some lug nuts and pulling the axles out, but I dont have any spares around. I have also searched and found that getting wax or some kind of lubricant in the housing would help. I have searched and not been able to find anything that I can do at the house. Any suggestions on what I can do to quickly get these out? The are sitting on jack stands in the garage at the moment so. Thanks - Jared

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Make sure that you have the flange bolts (on the bearing pocket) completely removed before trying to do teh brake drum/slide hammer technique. You'll just tear up teh bolts and make yourself cuss a lot more if you don't. The axle flange will have bolts in it to remove the nut from the bearing pocket, use a drift and tap these bolts out completely. Once they're out, I've not had a great deal of difficulty pulling the shaft. Be patient, and sometimes it does take a little persuasion.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Same thing as what Gummi Bear said. I haven't really had trouble getting mine out after that. Good luck :)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what exactly do you mean by tapping the bolts out? im not real positive on all that but ill let you know if im getting anywhere if i can get the dang flange bolts out lol...

·
Registered
85 Posts
it is a lot more difficult with the diff out of the car, I had to do mine 3 nights ago. undo the 3 axle nuts (thru the big hole in the axle flange) then push the 4 studs out thru the hole. you may have to help them from the back of the housing flange. Try pulling them out, but they probably wont give. using your brake drum, flipped over backwards, with the nuts only done up about 5 turns, use it as a slide hammer. Hopefully the impact will break the seal, and it will slide out. it will be difficult, as your axles are on stands, and will follow you around the garage, as they are not anchored to the car. Failing that, and this is what i had to do, use a sledge hammer on the back of the drum backing plate. just use the weight of the hammer, dont bash it silly. Mine gave after 2 thumps.

HTH

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
I have used the reverse brake drum method and had axles came out just fine. However, one time I had a very difficult axle in a Ford 9" and even a 10lb slide hammer with about 18" of travel wouldn't budge it. So I looked around my shop and found a 10' length of chain which had links that where big enough to fit over the wheel studs. I bolted each end link of the chain to one stud and yanked it a few times and it pulled right out. I know it seems butch but it worked great. It didn't do any damage to the threads on the studs as they were cinched tight against the flange. I later found out the bearing had siezed into the housing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I do the same thing with the chain but I use a piece about 16' long, only bolt one end to the axle flange stretch the chain out, and snap it like a whip form the other end you will be suprised at how much force that applies, but don't stand directly in line with the axle cause sometimes they will fly out of the housing. Usually though it take several good snaps to get them out when thier stuck that hard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts