Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyway to install the tapered bearing on the 9" axle shafts without using a press? Also what's the easiest way to remove them? My local shop charges like 30-40 bucks each to install and remove with a press, thanks, Judd :confused:

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone out there??? And yes I searched! :flipoff2:

·
Registered
682 Posts
Judd said:
Is there anyway to install the tapered bearing on the 9" axle shafts without using a press?:confused:
Yep, BFH and a piece of pipe longer than the shaft. Make sure you set the shaft flange on something besides the studs. BFH and a chisel will get the old bearing off. It does work.

Press would be much better.:D

·
Registered
563 Posts
If you have a NAPA in town they can do it, cheap.

The NAPA here did mine for $5 a pop. pressing them off, and pressing new ones on. So, $20 for the whole deal.

Maybe give them a try.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I have a napa local, I'll try that, definitely sounds better than a hammer and pipe! thanks again, Judd :D

·
Registered
774 Posts
I've taken them off by drill a hole is the sleeve then into the race with a good bit. Once the hole is in the sleeve and race hit with good sharp chisle usually breaks first try. Then put axle in freezer for awhile heat bearing and sleeve in oven drop heated bearing over frozen axle

·
Premium Member
10,038 Posts
odee said:
I've taken them off by drill a hole is the sleeve then into the race with a good bit. Once the hole is in the sleeve and race hit with good sharp chisle usually breaks first try. Then put axle in freezer for awhile heat bearing and sleeve in oven drop heated bearing over frozen axle
does that work very well? Or is it just a big pita? what about grease?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts