Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put a 9" in the rear of my Explorer, transfercase angled 3 degrees down, 9" pinion angled 4 degrees up. Thing sounds like shat. Makes a humming noise when in gear and louder with acceleration but stops when you take your foot off the gas. It makes no noise when in reverse. When you stick your ear to the case you can hear a gurgling/whining.

I'm gonna rip it apart tommorrow. What should I be looking for problem-wise? What do shot bearings, trac-lok or burnt r&p llok like assuming I dont find any metal in the bottom of the case?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK so I pulled the rear axle apart tonight and found four things:

1. The gear fluid was full of metal shavings. See #2.

2. Both axleshafts were rounded off from the tip to 3/4 of the way down. The drivers side was so round I dont know how it spun at all. The teeth inside of the trac-lok do not appear rounded.

3. I didnt have the best stuff to check the pattern, but it did show that there was no contact at the heel and all contact at the upper-middle toe. There were a few chips in the teeth.

4. The axleshaft seal on the drivers side was scored very badly on the top, probably a 3/16 indent from the shaft wearing on it.

So the humming is probably caused by the incorrect patttern. What would cause the axlshafts and seals to wear so badly?

·
Registered
213 Posts
sounds like you have a bad gear pattern on the drive side of your ring.Check the backlash on your ring&pinion, you may have to adjust the adjusting nuts.check your pinion bearings also. that should help out some.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's what I found:

A very f**ked pattern indeed. I wasnt able to get a good enough look at the pinion, but if the ring teeth are chipped and cracking I'm pretty sure that the pinion is without a doubt worse. Thanks for the help everyone!

Now, time to get my money back...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts