Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Found a 9" a coworker at Rocket City Offroad here in town has. I havent checked it out yet, or even seen it, but I can prolly buy it for 100 bucks or so I would assume. It is out of some type of Lincoln I think.?.? I do know that it has disc brakes. I have read some info on the 9" variations, and was also told by a guy that onyl the 66-77 broncos used the 28 spline versions. All others are 31 spline. I know the ol broncs did use the 28 spline version exsclusively, but this 9" is coming out of a lincoln car, I think. Year I dont know?? I thought I read somewhere, any car 9"s with disc brakes were the 28 spline version. Which I don't want. Because I read you cannot shorten these because the housings neck down, although I also read if you can shorten them mroe than 4" you are ok.?? A little help here, so I can get this 9" under the TJ before Tellico :) Thanks as always.

·
Registered
357 Posts
This is probably out of a 77-79 Lincoln Mark V, 59" (I think, don't hold me to it), 28 spline, and I think it has small bearings and the smaller tubes. The plus side is though that they are the right width for a TJ, disc brakes, and are 5x4.5. Could be a good deal if you can upgrade to 31 spline shafts.

I would assume those 28 spline shafts are probably somewhat comparable to a 27 spline d35 shaft, which may not be a good idea.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It's definately a good possibility that it's 31 splines. You are right, the EB's came w/ 28 splines. The only way to make sure (obviously) is to pull the axle and count them. If for some reason they are 28 splines, you can get a 31 spline locker/spool/carrier and upgrade to 31 spline shafts that are the correct length.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
True. I had a death in the family so I can't work onj anything this weekend. Damnit!!!! I'll check the axle out hopefully next week sometime after work. Finished up a lift on a 2002 GMC 2500 today. Time consuming but overall a good kit. It was a Rancho 4" wiht a subframe assembly. Pain in the ass really, I'll take my solid axle anyday. LOL I don't know, we also have a Waggy out back with a 44 in the rear. I may order some 30 spline Moser's, a spool, and cut me some brackets and run it for awhile. Then sell it some boys on JU for a grand. Build it for 600 bucks or so. The axle is free :) Just gotta buy shafts, and some brake hardware. Thanks as always, keep the rubber side down. Anyone headin to Tellico in March, if so what dates?? Me and the guys from the shop are headin there, if everyone gets their shit together, ie.. sell dual scout 44's, build 60's for my boss's CJ. Get 60's in a coworkers CJ, etc.. etc.. Does it ever end!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts