Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nolen, Just out of curiosity. What did you custom inner shafts set you back? Are they moshers? Are you using stock 60 outers? Are you still happy with the set up? What do you and everyone else think about putting 60 outers on my cruiser axles? What will custom inners set me back? And what's everyone's opinion. Throwing around some ideas.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
It's past 9, so Nolen is in bed, (and he calls me Old Man:confused: )
Doubt if he knows, since Sun Ray builds these as a unit........
If you do it, go with the 9 inch center, way more common to get all custom parts for, the hard part of doing either for a novice/do it yourselfer (unless you are Medusa) is rigging an inner seal to keep the gear oil in, since niether of these have any provision for that now.
Butch

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
The inner seal is not really that big of a deal.
Teh problem with the cruiser/D60 stuff is that you are still 30 Sp inners, and they will break. Run the 9" and get a 35sp axle It really is not that big of a cost..

The most cost is the knuckles.

And if you have found those at a really good cost let me in on it ;)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Jason M said:
The inner seal is not really that big of a deal.
Teh problem with the cruiser/D60 stuff is that you are still 30 Sp inners, and they will break. Run the 9" and get a 35sp axle It really is not that big of a cost..

The most cost is the knuckles.

And if you have found those at a really good cost let me in on it ;)
I agree with Jason M. The seal was no big deal when I built my own Hybrid. I used the D60 tubes, but cut them to desired length, then machined the seal mount into the cut ends of the tubing, just as it came from Dana.

I used Moser shafts, great people and $300 gets you any shaft spline/length/pattern you want. I did have to send them specific information on the shafts so they knew where to cut the seal surface in the shafts.

The costly part of building a 9"/D60F is getting the donor parts for the knuckles. I was given a damaged D60F for free, and I just cut the damaged centersection out, and used everything else to complete my monster.

Just my $0.02

B

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
BBrianR said:

I agree with Jason M. The seal was no big deal when I built my own Hybrid. I used the D60 tubes, but cut them to desired length, then machined the seal mount into the cut ends of the tubing, just as it came from Dana.

It's no big deal "if" you have access to a machine shop .....which most of us don't:flipoff2:
Which is what I meant by the mention of Medusa in my original answer.
Butch

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
If I were to do it over again I would have just gotten a D60 and cut it down or left it full width and run Hummer Wheels.

Buying a custom axle is way too expensive. Sure, it is one light, stong mutha, but in the end, I could have spent that $6500 on a lot of other mods.

Hybrid Mog9's though........;)

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
i am working on a D60-9in hybrid

so far i expect to be done for less than the cost of building a D60

There might be some trick shit involved in which case the cost will go up. Havn't decied yet

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Currie offers custom width 9 inch housings for a very good price, Nine inch center from pick and pull, So i would have to get a new arb for the front and 35 spline shafts. I am working on trying to get my Dad to drive out and visit from PA. and bring some 60 outers and or several hp/rc 60's. As many as he can fit in his superduty. Were he lives 60 fronts are more common then rears due to the majority of 2 wheel drive trucks. The last choice is dynatrac offers 60 outers and C's but of course for more then I want to spend. My first choice is mog9 hybrid but I don't really want the down time going to link and my pig flex's like crazy with the cherokee leafs so I hate to change it. I would have some good stuff to sell to help with the cost. OTT highsteer arms, one ton gm ball joints large stock,tierod and drag link,cut and turned housing,Bobby's and newfields and arb. I haven't been having any problems with the rear so I am reluctant to change it. Who know's by the time the snow melts.

Attachments

·
Old Rock Doc
1,779 Posts
so far i expect to be done for less than the cost of building a D60
Well... I guess you can still expect and hope, but I notice from your sig line that you still don't have a set of D60 knuckles. Please do let us know how you do this hybrid for less than the cost of building a D60. Don't you still have to buy all the parts that you would need in order to "build" a D60?? "Buy and build", I can believe, but not just build>.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Rockstomper is suppose to have brand new Chevy style king pin knuckles and the C in a few 3-4 weeks. I think one of the target axles is the 9 inch/D60 combo. If you need the C and the knuckle you might check him out

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
35 spline arb's are supposed to be available the end of april. The arb rep told us they are going to be the strongest arb they have made. 1000 hp rated.:D

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just bought a (63" wheel to wheel) D60 out of a dually Ford for $200. Dynatrac wants $5000 each for their axles. Why would you spend that kind of coin for something easy enough to find. Around here they throw Dana 60's away. TSM just released a disc brake kit for this axle. Of course now I probably have to spend $5000 to find a front axle 63" to match it. I have to put the 60 in a crawler I'm building because it's still to wide to fit my street legal cruiser. I might try to cut it and just get custom axle shafts. It seems easy enough. If I'm missing something please tell me!
swon

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
wngrog said:
If I were to do it over again I would have just gotten a D60 and cut it down or left it full width and run Hummer Wheels.

Buying a custom axle is way too expensive. Sure, it is one light, stong mutha, but in the end, I could have spent that $6500 on a lot of other mods.

Hybrid Mog9's though........;)
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Really? Hmmm, I don't feel so cheezy now.

:D

Ed

·
Registered
878 Posts
wngrog said:
There is no 9" ARB in 35 spline. If you run an ARB in the front with a 9" it will have to be 31 spline.

Do like RFREY did and run the MOG9's SUA. That would be more stable and a sweet setup!
rfrey has Volvo portals.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
swon said:
I just bought a (63" wheel to wheel) D60 out of a dually Ford for $200.
what spline shafts does it have? the only d60's i have seen in that width were the old, small, 16 spline shafts.

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
swon said:
I just bought a (63" wheel to wheel) D60 out of a dually Ford for $200. Dynatrac wants $5000 each for their axles. Why would you spend that kind of coin for something easy enough to find. Around here they throw Dana 60's away. TSM just released a disc brake kit for this axle. Of course now I probably have to spend $5000 to find a front axle 63" to match it. I have to put the 60 in a crawler I'm building because it's still to wide to fit my street legal cruiser. I might try to cut it and just get custom axle shafts. It seems easy enough. If I'm missing something please tell me!
swon
Sure you can buy junkyard D60's, but to make them strong you are going to have to spend some $$$.

Of course, there are the RARE 35 spline D60's, but most are 30 to 16 spline, so you are going to have to spend some $$ to upgrade them.

In the front, a 30 spline D60 just does not hold up. Ask High5 and Rock Taxi. :flipoff2:

That means more money. Sure, not $5000, but it is not as easy as it sounds.

BTW, a 16 spline D60 NEEDS to be thrown away and I am afraid that is what you probably have :(

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
wngrog said:
In the front, a 30 spline D60 just does not hold up. Ask High5 and Rock Taxi. :flipoff2:

tell me about it! stock 30 spline stubs and 42's do not mix well!!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I haven't pulled the axle and checked the spline count but I would be very surprised if it was a 16 spline axle. It's out of a 1-ton Ford dually truck. It does have the 3.54 highway gears. If I'm going to change the differential and gearing anyway no biggie. New axles can be made for it. I won't be throwing it away that's for sure! My street cruiser is just begging for a new axle but even with HumVee wheels it's too wide! I'd have to cut it. You've got me thinking, I might pull it tomorrow. Actually, the Currie 9 inch would make a nice match to my front cruiser axle and take care of the centered diff in the rear. I just bought one of Mike's adapters so I won't be doing the 9 inch anytime soon.
swon

1 - 20 of 27 Posts