Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read the WHOLE article....

Now, in gathering thoughts and plans....

Instead of shelling out $220 USD for the flanges to adapt the Ford hubs/rotor to the 9 inch's tube, why not use a plate of the outside diameter of the spindle flange ....drilled with the center on the tube opening and backing plate bolt pattern, as well as the spindle's 5 stud pattern. Let's make it.....say, 3/8" to 1/2" thick and recess the backing plate pattern so the spindle bolts to it flush.

What are the downsides to this theory? I'm kinda liking it, because it doesn't introduce heat to the axle housing and tubes, and it's removable and even replaceable in the event of abuse.
It also allows the use of only two pucks to center the axles inside the spindles before bolt-up.

Since the actual shafts have to be measured anyway, and made to order, what will I lose?

Thoughts from the peanut gallery?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
637 Posts
I say go for it. You only have a couple of drill bit to loose. Then do a write-up for the rest of us. :)

Than if it doesn't work. Shell out the money for the "real" thing.

Tim
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,786 Posts
Randall did kind of like that, He welded a plate to the houseing, then mounted a Chevy 6 bolt spindle to it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
what article are you talking about?

you better make sure that when you add your adapter flanges to the stock ends that the spindles have a perfect (i mean no play) in the flanges. if there is any play then the shear force is going to be placed on the little 3/8" bolts that won't last. the only reason the bolts are there are to keep the spindle in it's bore.

i would highly recommend the flanges that my buddy machined in his CNC for me last year.

ps. are you talking about my write-up on bc4x4.com???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Re: 9 inch Ford full floater thoughts....

AndrewH said:
what article are you talking about?

you better make sure that when you add your adapter flanges to the stock ends that the spindles have a perfect (i mean no play) in the flanges. if there is any play then the shear force is going to be placed on the little 3/8" bolts that won't last. the only reason the bolts are there are to keep the spindle in it's bore.

i would highly recommend the flanges that my buddy machined in his CNC for me last year.

ps. are you talking about my write-up on bc4x4.com???
Yup. That's the one. I've e-mailed Pinnacle and he got back to me. I REALLY like the weld on units....but I don't like the fact that they become permanent fixtures to the nine.

In thinking about your points, as well as corresponding with Coyote11P, I have come to realize that this conversion is alot like the high steering cones and bolts.

If I added a relief that is 3.1453 in diameter that is perfectly centered into the existing bearing flange of the axle, and then used the bolts to secure it, I've actually positioned it with the large bearing flange piece, and the bolts merely provide clamping force, instead of the whole load.

PM me if you're so inclined with the $$ of those custom shafts for your conversion, as well as the URL......cause I lost it, again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,109 Posts
Seams like alot of work! Warn makes a real nice full floater kit that isn't too expensive and is of really high quality. I've had one on my Bronco for about 5 years now, it's the best mod I've made! One suggestion though, ditch the locking hubs and go with thier solid drive flanges, they're alot stronger (I've broken 3 hubs):D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Oatmeal said:
Seams like alot of work! Warn makes a real nice full floater kit that isn't too expensive and is of really high quality. I've had one on my Bronco for about 5 years now, it's the best mod I've made! One suggestion though, ditch the locking hubs and go with thier solid drive flanges, they're alot stronger (I've broken 3 hubs):D
I have both, so after the hubs break (which ones do you have? I plan on using a set of Warn Premiums with the alloy splines)
I can simply use drive flanges instead.

Any links to pricing on the Warn kit? I'm a cheap bastard. (but not a half-asser. :flipoff2:

Looks like $700 bucks for the #38675 conversion, and then off to purchase Warn rotors and caliper locaters.

Think I'll stick with $200 buck adapters and a $200 dollar set of shafts. The balance of the plan is sitting on my shelves collecting dust. And all of the stock stuff can be found almost anywhere.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,109 Posts
The nice thing about the Warn kit is they're 30 spline on the outer end but, I think the 30 spline hubs are weaker because they use the same size clutch ring with a larger hole to accommadate the larger axle end, leaving less meat around the splines and that's where they've broken every time. They'd probably be ok for off road only use but, I have a bad habit of shifting under full throtle on the street!:eek: BTW I bought mine through a buddy that used to work at Dick Cepek (remember them?) for $475:D Yeah I guess it's a little pricier than the route you're going but, the fact that it is just about a bolt on affair makes it seem worth it. Just my 2 cents though:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oatmeal said:
The nice thing about the Warn kit is they're 30 spline on the outer end but, I think the 30 spline hubs are weaker because they use the same size clutch ring with a larger hole to accommadate the larger axle end, leaving less meat around the splines and that's where they've broken every time. They'd probably be ok for off road only use but, I have a bad habit of shifting under full throtle on the street!:eek: BTW I bought mine through a buddy that used to work at Dick Cepek (remember them?) for $475:D Yeah I guess it's a little pricier than the route you're going but, the fact that it is just about a bolt on affair makes it seem worth it. Just my 2 cents though:)
At $475, I'd jump all over it.
But I'd still be left with non-stock pieces in case of failure. This would require me to keep an extra set of everything, or wait until my favorite Warn retailer opened on Monday. (Notorious Murphy only works on weekends)
I do like the 31/30 spline option....but I'm not really that hard on the truck. I REALLY like the disc brakes, as well as the standard bearings that the front hub would allow....plus I can buy those hub/rotor assemblies all day long for 58 bucks apiece.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
Had both kits

I had the Warn kit, it was really nice, but break one peice and you were S.O.L.. I went with the Toyota spindles from a solid axle Toy, they let 31 spline thru with no problem. Their stock hubs are nice, 1/4 turn to lock and hold up well, and 30 spline, same as the Warn kit I had. The toy came with disk brakes already, and I can pick up a set of bearings at almost any parts store, spindle too. Now with this setup you can full float any width 9 inch you want, just need to give Moser your measurements for the shafts. If you wanted to go full width later, you can swap out the housing and get longer shafts. The adapters I have are Nice. If anyone wants pics let me know, I have one setup still for sale, $300+ shipping, everything but shafts, later.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
774 Posts
Has anyone given thought to trying to put 14 bolt tubs in the 9 inch housing? That was going to be a summer project this year but I have to get a new shop building up to have a place to work on things out of the weather. The measurments I came up with was like an 1/8 or just a little more to be taken off the tube to press into the housing that I have. I was also gonna try to mod the 8 lug stuff to 5 lugs if possible.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top