Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: since photofucket took a shit i'm now going to slowly go back, delete junk image links and repost new ones. Giving somewhat more effort than i should, going to try and repost pictures again in chronological order. Not going to be perfect matching all the descriptions in every post but at least give something to look at if anyone stumbles on this thread from the beginning. Probably going to take a while so bear with me.

Picked this thing up a couple years ago and have been slowly working on it as a long term project and hopefully long term wheeler. It's the 3rd in my stable of toyota crawlers so only really gets attention when I'm not wrenching on the other two. Anyway on to the pictures and progress.

Bought it wrecked and muddy but running 22re for $600.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone. Hopefully it should hold up alright. Probably going to only run 39.5's. Haven't committed to an engine yet, but leaning towards a 4.3 since i just recently did that swap in my other crawler and really like it. But right now any engine is an option, just waiting for the right deal at the right time. Actually, other than axles, I'm kinda wingin' it here as to what drive train parts I am going to use.

·
Registered
12,238 Posts
Been thinking about what I will do for the front suspension on this thing. Right now I'm leaving towards going with a spring under set up with full hydro steering. This should keep everything nice and low and stable. Shackle will be in the rear where they should be :flipoff2:
I think the ride is nicer with them in the rear and they always look too vulnerable sticking out in front of the frame.
OH look another person basing their front shackle experience off of a stock jeep or something :shaking::flipoff2:

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have no experience with stock jeep shackles, I know I've bashed my front spring mounts off plenty of rocks. I can imagine the shackles getting pretty beat up sticking out front like that. Not trying to start any sort of shackle location debate. There are plenty of threads just for that. if they work good for you, rock em :beer:
... But I still think they are pretty :rainbow:

·
Premium Member
29,254 Posts
Plastic links

How long are your lower links? Any reason why you are thinking about mounting them to the up slope part of the frame instead of closer to or on the flat bottom of the frame?

Might help get your lower links a bit more flat and should have less jacking and a little smoother ride that way

edit: assuming that you are setting it up for "at ride height" in those pictures

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You could be right about link location. I went with where they are at simply because the numbers seemed to jive together nicely in the calculator. Well for now since I was only guessing center of gravity and a couple other numbers. I've thought about shortening the upper links some, plenty of room to add a couple new brackets farther back on the frame. I may do that farther along in the build when I get my other numbers squared away.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Not quite as :rainbow: as a semifloat 14b.....

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :flipoff2:
We shall see how it holds up. Definatley not the route everyone else takes for rear axle, but As beefy as the inner shafts are I think it will work fine. Has better ground clearance than the full floater as well.

1 - 20 of 241 Posts