Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The vehicle is a D110 diesel with stock axles, 4.7 ratios, front and rear MaxiDrive halfshafts , 110 CV joint. The lockers are Detroit in the back and ARB in front.

At the moment the truck is with 900/16 tyres made in Israel. The tyres are diagonal, very tough, very aggressive (the profile is very much like the Simex jungle trekker2).
The problems with them are:
1. Here in Israel the only place to get this type of tyre is army surplus which means they are very old and not in good condition.
2. It is very difficult to balance them and thus the onroad travel is not comfortable.

Do you know which company makes 900/16? (apart from Michelin - too expensive). A friend of mine ordered for his 110 255/100/16s and they are a bit higher than the 900/16, but they too are Michelin and I would like to know if you know of other brands.

Another question:

I wrote the truck's specs above - do you think I can change to a 36/12.5/16 tyre and maintain high reliablity of the drive terrain?

Thanks,

Erez

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
erez said:
I wrote the truck's specs above - do you think I can change to a 36/12.5/16 tyre and maintain high reliablity of the drive terrain?
Asumming the replacement tire is the same dimensions as the older tire being replaced (including the weight. Michelins are heavy bitches) you could replace it with anything.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey man,
Is that your truck I saw in one of the old LROs (Nov 2003) I have lying around?

Anyway, the 900/16 are narrower than the 36/12.5/16. If they were exactly the same dimensions I wouldn't have asked. :D

Erez

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
But most 9x16's are 8 or 10 ply and at least the Michelins are VERY heavy. I think you would be somewhat easier on the drivetrain with light truck 36x12.5's. I just put a set on my BJ42 (36x12.5 IROK radials) and they are much lighter than the set of 9x16 Mich. XZL's that I sold recently.

One thing to watch out for with your setup is the rear detroit though. A broken rear halfshaft almost alway grenades the cogs on the sidegears of the Detroit (seems to happen >75% of the time with Rover diffs). So if you break a shaft keep that in mind. Not sure if this is an issue with the Sals diffs (not sure what you have in your 110).

Billster

erez said:
Hey man,

Anyway, the 900/16 are narrower than the 36/12.5/16. If they were exactly the same dimensions I wouldn't have asked. :D

Erez

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Salisbury detroit is a lunchbox style for the four pin diff, doubt if you would have issues.

the size Q78 is very close ~36x10.50

Ron

·
Registered
986 Posts
Q78's are noticably smaller in diameter than 900/16. I have tried both. 35.5 vs close to 37. They are also too soft for a heavy 110.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
erez said:
Hey man,

Different Width, different height, whatever you want to put on your truck is up to you. :flipoff2:

And no, I've never seen a LRO with a FJ55 in it. :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
Erez,

Don't you have an Interco dealer? If you need any Interco tires, I can hook you up with he Lebanese dealer - not sure how we can execute this, but we'll try (Ship to Jordan...etc...)

Good luck...I saw a nice set of 38.5x11 Boggers there if that is your flavor.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Erez,
Goodyear makes a workhorse in that size. At least they did :flipoff2: anyway, it's a great all around tire, not a great Rock tire though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts