Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some of you may have seen my other thread. I shared an account with my brother for a few and now i got my own.
I have decided to rebuild my toy after i broke it when i went to the winter fun fest. Besides now im doing it the way i wanted to when i first started to build it. Waiting on my star to show up so i can post some new pics.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=634877&highlight=5vz

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I still have a bunch of tube work left to do on the back half. Got the shocks on and cycled it, every thing looks to be good from my point of view. The shock on the DS, in the pic still has 3" of down travel to go.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK so after cutting of the back of the trucks frame just about a inch past the cab, i needed a new crossmember. I figured while i was at it i can make my link mounts built into it for my lowers. I had to build it with the dip into the center for the drive shaft. Though i am going to run a CV on the Tcase end, I figured i would build it this way to be on the safe side. This crossmember is made from 2"x4" .250 rectangular box tube. The bracketts for the links are made of 3/8 plate. Pretty much every brackett on this truck is hand made.

Now the lower links are made of 2" .375 wall. (had to have the heim end drilled out to accept the thread insert.) Heims are (rated) 70K and are rebuildable. The hard mount end uses a piece of 2" .250 wall, with YJ large bushings. This end mounts to the axle with brackets made of 3/8. When installed on the truck they measure 44" from bolt hole to bolt hole and sit at 9Deg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After installing the crossmember with the lower link mounts, i see i need another crossmember to keep the back of the frame from bowing in. Since part of my cage is mounted there and the tube work that will form the bed and hang my coilovers. I first took a couple peices of 1/4" plate and made some frame caps and mounting surface for the crossmember to mount to.
this crossmember is made of 1 1/2" .120 wall. I made 3 bends and installed it. I took into consideration of the upper wishbone will need a place to mount to. Added 2 gussets at the cornners and 2 more pieces of 1 1/2" that mount between the two crossmembers tying them together. I needed some more sepperation between the upper and lowers on the axle side so i added onto the axle truss. I didnt really care for the look of it, but it does the trick. The mounting for the upper uses 2 1/4" plates with multiple mounting holes. Each hole is 1 1/2" seperation from center of holes. I did the same when making the brackets that mount the bushing side of the upper. Those too are made of 1/4" and have 3 holes that are 1" apart.
The upper wishbone is made of 1 3/4" .188 wall. and is approx 38" in length. it uses 2 more of the 2" .250 wayy tube with YJ large bushings.
The axle side of the upper link has another piece of 2" .250 to accept the thread inserts for another 70K heim.

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
Keep up the good work looks bitchin. Wish my fab. skills were that good.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Nice job man setup looks killer. Working on my 4 link and i'll be doing the x-member for the front link mouts pretty much the same way.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Keep up the good work looks bitchin. Wish my fab. skills were that good.
Thank you. Im not the best fab worker but it just takes practice and time. I got better when i decided to slow down and not just cut and thow it together.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so i finally got the back end pretty much done. still have a little tube work to finish. just got my 39in Iroks. Ordered 15x10 rock crawler rims with 2.75 backspacing so i can make my beadlocks. I had to redo some of the cage/bed work due to design flaws. The truck at ride height right now sits at 6ft to the top of the cage. I might need to raise it an inch or 2. the width is 86.5in wide. I built my rear beadlocks and mounted them on the truck to cycle it and see if there would be any binding or rubbage. Worked great!:smokin: I was pretty happy to find i was able to get 32in to the bottom of the wheel at full flex on the rear. I need to install bump stops and limit straps still.

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
Nice work and also a well orginized shop, Keep up the good work:smokin::flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well i got to redo the front frame piece i built to hold the engine up. I need more clearence between the frame and axle. I was hoping to have all the suspension and fab work done before June 17th, since the 18th I ship out for active Army again for 3years then i will be done with the service. Problem is i dont think i will have it finished. Ive been very lazy and not in the mood since i got alot to take care of and funds are low. My brother will be doing some of the work for me while im gone.:(
I did pretty much finish the tube work on the bed. I need different coil spring rates for the shocks though. I just threw them on to hold the truck up.

Attachments

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
NICE! you have a fridge and a TV in your garage/shop, i hate you:flipoff2: i have a driveway and an am/fm radio with a broken CD player and no input for an IPod:(

·
Registered
224 Posts
i just started a thread for stock frame to tube fram transitions, getting ready to chop mine. yours looks sick. good job man.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Haha, well the fridge is a must. It holds all the cold insperations.:laughing: But the TV dosn't work. Just havnt gotten rid of it yet. and i got just a AM/FM too, but i got suround sound:flipoff2:. you could use my driveway, its plenty big and all you got to do is supply the beer.:laughing:

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Hurry up and finish this turd!! j/k :D
Sweet, so I'm going to take over the fab work from here then right? Well then I think when it's done i'm going to have to take it out and try it out for you, you know just to make sure it works properly and it's safe. :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hurry up and finish this turd!! j/k :D
Sweet, so I'm going to take over the fab work from here then right? Well then I think when it's done i'm going to have to take it out and try it out for you, you know just to make sure it works properly and it's safe. :flipoff2:
:laughing::laughing::laughing: Riiiight. :idea:How about finishing your T100? ever thought about that!:flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts