Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm 17 and a senior in highschool. I haven't posted much here but I've read a lot so I know you guys are tough. That's why I want you to read some reasoning before you bash me.

I'm building this to flip (sell, not roll), I want it to be a toy but also a decent looking street truck so I can actually sell it. if I were to build this to keep I would run 52" springs up front and 64" springs out back and 8 lugs and a lighter flatbed. Plus modifications that always come with time.

This is mostly going to be copied from my thread at 67-72chevy. Like I said I'm doing it on a budget to flip but I'm not half assing it and passing on problems to the future owner. And I will have prices listed throughout and in this post for shit so you guys can bash on me for paying to much.

88 burban $450+ $100 for fuel
91 cab no rust $200
Painting shit $100
Consumables (welding supplies) $40
Th350/np205 $200

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Started out with this 87 k10 for $450 which I pulled the perfect front clip off for my other crewcab project.

I picked up this 91 cab with all the wiring untouched for $200 at about the same time about.

Day One

Took off the burban body but left it by the shop. I will be stripping the interior and scrapping the rest.

Then I lifted it 4 inches (springs, shackle flip)

I cut off the back of the frame rails as far as I could without moving the fuel tank. First time I used that grinder, cuts frame like butter.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Day Two

I got the cab on the frame and started hooking up the harness and changing the few plugs that needed changed, got it all together but didn't try firing it up.

I had to decide whether I wanted this to be a universal street legal rig or make it strictly a wheeler. This is what it looked like

Wheeler- I would have moved the tank above the frame and forward directly behind the cab and chopped the frame at the rear spring hanger.

Instead I wanted a more universal truck that would work and look half decent every where. So I decided to move the axle back 12.5 inches. Leaving me with about 68" behind the cab for a 66" flatbed

Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Day Three

Tried getting it started. No cigar... Has fuel out the injectors, and has spark. That's as far as I looked into it. I found that the evrv connector wasn't connected because I couldn't find the connection. I will probably work on that more tomorrow... And I need to pull the trans, it's supposedly new but the input seal has issues, I hate 700r4's grr

Well I don't know where to get a 5.5 foot flatbed and this is on a budget so I am building one out of scrap. I'm not totally happy with it but it's free besides consumables to far. For the sheet metal on the back I had to make do with an irrigation pivot banner which wasn't wide enough to the whole back... I will add big ole mud flaps and once it is more finished it should look much better (I hope)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Day Four

I went on a shop cleaning/re organizing spree. But I got it running good and got the front clip bolted on.

Day 5 was spent sanding and adding a headboard to the flatbed.. Scrap metal lol no pics.

Day Six I sanded more and got it in primer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today was Day 7 since I started tear down lol

I got it in paint. But I had a hard time getting it to lay down good and will have to sand and re spray a lot of it tomorrow. I also sprayed the shitty flatbed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If your gonna hate, call it what it is. I don't even have a bumper on the truck. The back is how it is to cover the gas tank and I didn't have a piece of sheet wide enough, so I made due with what I have.

·
Premium Member
4,408 Posts
Nothing wrong with using scraps..I do it all the time..One day i hope to get another boiler retube so i can get some extra 2" .120 wall.

But going through all this work to "flip" a truck..LOL your in the wrong line of work.

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
When you "flip" a vehicle, you want to do as little as possible for the most profit. Certain vehicles are good and tons are bad for flipping. Calculate what your worth per hour, material, power useage and estimated finished value.

This reminds me of the DIY channel where idiots spend 100k and 6 months time to ad 80k value.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm 17 and go to highschool. I farm during the summer but I have nothing to do all winter. I calculate everything and I should be able to almost double my money.

Everyone says it's lots of work but I've done it in an easy week.. Really it's not that much work...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Easy for me atleast. Maybe everyone is lazy or slow....

Like I said I'm doing it for me and I like the idea of black and yellow. So that's what I'm doing. I could have done white but that's boring... Plus it's a toy, yellow is a good toy color.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Then build a burban. I personally like crewcabs and think burbans are a waste of sheetmetal and space. Ugly! Lol

I'm not sure how I like the flatbed. And I wish the yellow wasn't quite so bright but it'll work I think. Gonna this some 36's under it.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Subscribed. Not quite what i would do but i like watching it anyway.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
looks like a good build, but i think your gonna be dissapointed when you "flip" this rig and think your gonna bank on it.

1/2 tons, 36's, flatbed, im just not seeing the value. but its your project and have fun with it.

and everyone quit hatin on yellow rigs! heres mine.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts