Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellas. I' a newbie here and love this site. Excellent how-to's and info!It actually helped me rebuild my 87' 4x4 toyota 5spd.Thx fo sho:D.
But anyhow here's my dilemma. I purchased a 91 Sammi for dirt cheap $500w/ 67,000+ orig.miles. Its still stock with 1.3 TBI. Got it running now, but runs like Sh!t and overheats. But anyway I hunt/guide alot in AZ and do some moderate 4x4 trail riding. I'm basically going from hunting spot to hunting spot in remote areas if I get this rig running.
IYO what should I do? Replace headgasket and keep that 1.3 and buy SPOA conversion and tires with money saved.
Whats the overall gain or cost effectiveness from swapping 1.3 to 1.6 8v. I know its about 20-30hp gain but is it worth all that effort,time and money? Thx and Happy Trails.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I am bias,simply because I have a 1991 EFI 1.3 that runs very well. Engine wise it is totally stock. As I understand your post, you would really appreciate my Zuke.

I have only experienced the 1.3, and I do snivel to it's HP short cumming. But, that is only on the highway, going up a long hill.

I have a Trail Tough YJ SPOA w/Missing Links, and the TT knuckle steering. Absolutely no problems.

To give you a direct answer (and short answer) to your question: "... Replace headgasket and keep that 1.3 and buy SPOA conversion and tires with money saved ...", I would replace the headgasket.

Wayne

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Hello fellas. I' a newbie here and love this site. Excellent how-to's and info!It actually helped me rebuild my 87' 4x4 toyota 5spd.Thx fo sho:D.
But anyhow here's my dilemma. I purchased a 91 Sammi for dirt cheap $500w/ 67,000+ orig.miles. Its still stock with 1.3 TBI. Got it running now, but runs like Sh!t and overheats. But anyway I hunt/guide alot in AZ and do some moderate 4x4 trail riding. I'm basically going from hunting spot to hunting spot in remote areas if I get this rig running.
IYO what should I do? Replace headgasket and keep that 1.3 and buy SPOA conversion and tires with money saved.
Whats the overall gain or cost effectiveness from swapping 1.3 to 1.6 8v. I know its about 20-30hp gain but is it worth all that effort,time and money? Thx and Happy Trails.
How much work do you really want to do and how much money do you have? If you love working on your Zuk and don't need to drive it for a month or so I say swap in the 1.6 16 valve multiport motor (96-99 hp/tq vs. 1.6 8 valve has approx 83-85 hp/tq) and pull the 1.3 then do the head gasket and sell it to help pay for the swap (good running 67K mile 1.3 is worth at least $500). Also, the 1.6 8 valve runs hotter than the 1.3 so you will need to upgrade to a 3 core radiator, but the 1.6 16 V runs cooler and the stock rasiator will work fine ...even in AZ. Sooo If no time or money do the head gasket, lift it with a quality SPOA with long travel shocks OR a Trail Tough YJ kit and start driving it.

OH, and No one gets away without a NeWbIe salute :flipoff2:

Sean DeVinney
[email protected]

·
Registered
691 Posts

First off, a 1.6 8V is only about 15HP over a 1.3.
With the proper gearing a 1.3 will work just fine. I run a 1.3 EFI engine in my off road samurai. I have the option to go to a 1.6 8V (or 16V), but I see no need for it.
I would not do a SPOA, if you just do "moderate" trail riding. Hell, I still run SPUA with different springs to give me about 2-3" of lift and have cut fenders to run 33" tires. My samurai does very well and is very stable, because of its low COG. I do a lot of rockcrawling and trailriding and it does just as good as a similiarly built samurai I wheel with that is SPOA.
Get the 1.3 ECM rebuilt. The capacitors will go bad in them and cause poor running, or no running at all (something you definitely don't want, when you are out in BFE).
If you are sure the headgasket is what is causing the overheating, replace the headgasket and you should have a nice running engine, that will work well for you, without the time and expense of swapping to a 1.6.
I would spend the money saved from an engine swap on some lockers, gears and skid plates. And adding power steering from a trackick is a nice upgrade too.

·
Registered
290 Posts
If you have the factory efi 1.3, you can swap in the 1.6 8 valve block and head for an easy upgrade. You can reuse the 1.3 intake and avoid any wiring. Just throw an adaptor kit for around $200 bucks and your good to go. Did that on my 94' sammy I had and it was a nice upgrade from the 1.3 with minimal effort. I did the 16 valve swap on my current rig and its much more power but the 1.6 is a pretty good bang for the buck swap if you have factory efi...

·
Registered
209 Posts
If the a 1.6 8V is only about 15HP over a 1.3. I question it is worth the $200 adapter required, especially if you also have to use a bigger (3-core) radiator.

Another question is do you need to jump through hoops to pass California smog, with the 1.6 8V?

Can someone say from personal experience that the 1.6 8V was an obvious increase in power after this upgrade?

Wayne

·
Registered
231 Posts
If the a 1.6 8V is only about 15HP over a 1.3. I question it is worth the $200 adapter required, especially if you also have to use a bigger (3-core) radiator.

Another question is do you need to jump through hoops to pass California smog, with the 1.6 8V?

Can someone say from personal experience that the 1.6 8V was an obvious increase in power after this upgrade?

Wayne
I say that from experience if you are looking for power and reliability, go with the 1.6 16v you wont regret it. I have mine done and is Calif smog certified on my 91 sami. The take off is great and the crawling is awesome!

Never had a problem yet and have had it for the last 5 years. There is a link on this forum of my swap if you need it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Much thx to you all...:D. I think I'll stick with Skihiranger's advice. Keep 1.3 and put money saved to cold beer, springs, lockers and gears.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts