Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 383 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Not much to update, been busy with work and doing little stuff on the truck here and there. Ordered gauges and built my panel for them in the truck just waiting for them to show up. Relocated the battery in the cab behind the passenger seat into where the old jump seat was. Also massaged my firewall on the driver side near the gas pedal area where the head is going to live, cut up my heater box and bent up a sheet metal cover for it, then painted the firewall black. Should be doing the final install of the engine tomorrow so I can start building headers.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Well I got most of the center console built. I still need to make the folding armrest and plate the top of the forward portion (waiting for triple sticks to show up) Its made from 1/2 square tube and some sheet metal. Initially I started riveting the panels on but busted my rivet gun and said **** it, so I just started welding.

Then I got to work on my headers. The passenger side is way harder because the frame rail is right under the head it seems, so I started on that side and almost got it finished tacked together.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Did you buy the strong box assembled or put your own gears in it? Any thoughts yet on quality, fit/finish, installation, etc?

·
P.B.A.
4,345 Posts
Well I got most of the center console built. I still need to make the folding armrest and plate the top of the forward portion (waiting for triple sticks to show up) Its made from 1/2 square tube and some sheet metal. Initially I started riveting the panels on but busted my rivet gun and said **** it, so I just started welding.

Then I got to work on my headers. The passenger side is way harder because the frame rail is right under the head it seems, so I started on that side and almost got it finished tacked together.
Header looks way better than mine! Very jealous.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Well I got my gauges this week and put my dash panel together. I looked all over for a gauge style I liked and was affordable. I was going to go with autometer but then I stumbled across these speedhut gauges. I have not powered them up or tested them, but the quality out of the box is tremendous. Not only that but they are 100% customizable. You can go on their web site and build every gauge exactly how you want them, colors, bezels, pictures, needles, font etc. And they are made in the USA and lifetime warranty on electronics.

I opted for a custom kit. The tach and speedo are from the revolution series, and the others are from the standard speedhut series. I went with the speedo from them because its gps, not cable or pulse driven. The initial investment was higher on the speedo, but I wont need to change any speedo gears, get a cable or a transducer to make it work. Just stick the gps antenna on the roof or dash. Also wont have to worry about it for gear changes. It can do elevation, 0-60, 1/4 mile etc. pretty neat for a speedo gauge.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Not much progress this weekend. Finished my console though for the most part. It looks alright, the sheet metal is a pain to work with. The arm cushion I made from some high density seat cushion foam I got at walmart and some thick cotton cloth doubled up (also from walmart). I just cut the foam layers slightly larger than a wooden base board I cut, then wrapped the cloth over it. Really easy. Overall I have about $120 in metal and other materials. **** your tuffy!
Still waiting on my triple sticks to finish it 100%

One big order of parts left to do, intake tubing, radiator, plumbing, mufflers and some 3'' exhaust

·
Registered
79 Posts
great build.. definitely keeping my eye on it for some ideas to borrow

you hit the nail on the head with one thing.. the duff parts make doing a sas in a rbv a piece of cake. only thing I did different there was ditch their shock mounts and use some f250 mounts to run a longer travel shock.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
great build.. definitely keeping my eye on it for some ideas to borrow

you hit the nail on the head with one thing.. the duff parts make doing a sas in a rbv a piece of cake. only thing I did different there was ditch their shock mounts and use some f250 mounts to run a longer travel shock.
Thanks man, and I am planning to ditch their shock mount for some 250 mounts as well. I think I could SAS an rbv in half a day with their stuff.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Your dog appears to be very interested in the headers :grinpimp:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Lookin good. I like the gauge setup

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
Well I got a ton of work done this weekend on the truck. Unfortunately Friday fist thing I dropped my phone and ****ed it up, so the pictures are limited and shitty at best.
I got the headers welded, 02 bungs installed and painted. I got my radiator from speedway mounted. I had to cut the middle of the core support apart but then made a new upper and lower crossbeam that the radiator sits in. I am using the stock fan and I have clearance to install and remove it with the radiator installed. I cut the AC mount off and mounted the ignition coil there instead. Also I made my tranny hump cover, installed the console, shifter and a battery disconnect. Wired the battery back into the truck, and I hooked up my gauges. They are sweet! Finally I located my remote oil filter. Tuesday I start 2 weeks of vacation, I am planning to crank this engine over this week. I am still waiting on transfer case parts, then I need drive shafts and I need exhaust pieces to run from the headers to the mufflers.
Also the alternator wiring, fuel connects, and power steering were direct swap over to the 89 bronco accessories (except fuel line length)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Well I have been trying my hardest all week to get this thing started. It seems the harder I try the harder it fights back. I've ran into multiple issues, had a cracked thermostat housing, junk fuel pressure regulator and now I'm chasing wires trying to get this thing to run. I think I have it all figured out and hopefully tomorrow I can hear this thing breath (open headers).

The motor and tranny are all permanently installed, Im waiting on my shifters and front output shaft to install the transfercases, then I can make the exhaust and measure for drive shafts to get this thing on the road.

Here is how my headers turned out:

driver side clearance next to steering shaft:

Here is how the engine and everything are looking:

I deleted smog and AC, I used a 83 3/4'' belt to make it work.

Here is how I am planning to run the mufflers, driverside is going to be especially tight with the 3'' tube and transfercase

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Well I got all the wiring figured out and was getting close to cranking it, I was turning it by hand to get TDC on #1 to install the distributer and then found out my flex plate is bent on one spot and drags the teeth across the starter. Time to order more backordered parts and sit on my thumb for 3 weeks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Looking good so far. Hate to hear about your dilemma. Your mufflers are right in the middle of where my 4 link crossmember is. What is the deal on the flexplate? I wouldn't think the leadtime would be that much, unless your having it balanced?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Looking good so far. Hate to hear about your dilemma. Your mufflers are right in the middle of where my 4 link crossmember is. What is the deal on the flexplate? I wouldn't think the leadtime would be that much, unless your having it balanced?
Well I need a 157 tooth (small) and 28 oz balance on it, which for whatever reason seems to be hard to find. The frst place I called was TCI, and they told me 1.5-2 weeks before they had them in stock. I am going to hunt around some more, but I haven't had luck yet.
Yeah my mufflers would get in the way of a 4 link, but for my setup right now it seems to be the most ideal spot. I might try and play around with their location a bit more and see what I can do. I'm just glad I caught the flexplate before I cranked this thing up.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Well I scored the right flexplate on craigslist from mustang guy, also got a bigger bbk throttle body, and a c &l maf housing. Spent last weekend dropping the tranny and replacing the bent flexplate. The girlfriend helped me drop and install the tranny so that was nice. Also got the dana 300 put togther, 32 spline front and rear shafts, 1350 flange on the rear, and flip kit from behmoth. Tidied up the wiring and set the distributer in just to see how it looks.

All I am waiting for to fire it is another set of hands to help me find TDC and stab the dist, and I want a 2nd set of eyes on it when I do fire it up to look for leaks or anything bad happening.

41 - 60 of 383 Posts