Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a newbie to the 4 wheel lifestyle and for a mear $500 have recently purchased a 91 Toyota Pickup Extended Cab w/200k miles that was really hurt inside and out. The 3vze needed new head gaskets and, not knowing a thing about engine work, I started tearing it down. I have done some research and found the V6 to be a problem engine in these vehicles pertaining to blown head gaskets. I have also run across an early to mid 80s 4 runner in a friends yard w/22re turbo that I could purchase reasonably....only cause he rolled the thing. Will the engine fit in my 91 pickup and how difficult is the swap? Is a 22re turbo better than the 3vze in maintainance and reliability? I believe all the harnesses, ecu, and engine are still in tact on the runner.

The vehicle is going to be a daily driver for me and my girl in the winter when it is snowing and our cars cant get out of my driveway. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
143 Posts
if you don't "Know a thing about engine work" then you can expect to pay $3,000 + to have that turbo engine rebuilt. If that engine has many miles on it expect to replace the turbo. The exhaust manifold is probably cracked. there is a good chance the turbo exhause housing is cracked by the waste gate.

It's just an expensive engine to rebuild and the stock turbo's dont last long.

are you prepared to modify the stock wiring harness for the turbo engine? the swap is not plug and play because turbo's were 85-87 and V6 was 88 on. each model year toyota made small changes.

the 3.0 engine isn't that bad. the only problem is the exhaust manifold design is stuupid. resurface the heads with new gaskets. with some headers on it with decent exhaust system and it'll run fine

·
Registered
928 Posts
Dood, put a 5vzfe in there instead. It will ultimately be about the same price, more power and torque (than a stock ret) and will bolt up to your existing engine mounts and tranny bellhousing. There are sh-t tons of info on this, just search on here, 4x4wire.com and yotatech.com. Don't forget offroadsolutions.com for a kit, if you want to go that way.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Forget the swap, you will be biting off way more than you can probably chew. The 22rte and the 3.0 are very similar in power. The work/benefit ratio is completely not worth it. If you can't replace the head gasket, just put the motor back together and check your phone book for a place that will replace the motor. There are places here in AZ that will do it for less than 1500 with a 5 yr warranty.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
I second the 3.4 swap. Buy the complete kit from off-road solutions and pick up a 3.4 here on the board. It will be a much better investment than a tired turbo four banger. I'm not saying that the 22ret isnt a good engine, I'm just saying that the 3.4 is much better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts