Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

Got an A340E/H auto tranny. Now when I accelerate out of first gear is slips, catches and then shifts in to second. Sometimes, it sticks in second gear and does not shift into third. Am I looking at a total rebuild or is this a fixable issue?

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Try changing the fluid and filter. If that doesn't work.......think about switching over to a manual. just my .06
:D

·
Man Child
24,725 Posts
Service it first. If that doesn't do the trick take a close look at the two shift solenoids. I beleive that solenoid number 2 controls second and O/D.

How many miles on the trans?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was the first thing I did was get it serviced (fluid, gasket, yada yada yada). I have about 40k on it, it was rebuilt a couple of years ago.

·
Man Child
24,725 Posts
Kasoze said:
That was the first thing I did was get it serviced (fluid, gasket, yada yada yada). I have about 40k on it, it was rebuilt a couple of years ago.

I would guess that you have a shift solenoid going out. The solenoids are not replaced as part of a normal rebuild and with the symptoms you describe sounds like thats your problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am alittle confused now. If the solenoid is going out, then it wouldn't shift at all. Would a bad solenoid slowly provide minimal friction on the pressure plate? The best way to describe accelerating from a dead stop is like driving a manual tranny and riding the clutch alot it 1st gear.

·
Man Child
24,725 Posts
Kasoze said:
I am alittle confused now. If the solenoid is going out, then it wouldn't shift at all. Would a bad solenoid slowly provide minimal friction on the pressure plate? The best way to describe accelerating from a dead stop is like driving a manual tranny and riding the clutch alot it 1st gear.
When the solenoids start to go out... for lack of a better term they have a tendencie to get "sticky". Actually what is happening is that your trans is not downshifting into 1st gear and your trying to acclerate in 2nd gear. I had this exact same problem. Next time this happens grab the shifter and shove it down into first and I bet things will pick right up. If your are able to manually shift it down into 1st gear then it is a shift solenoid.

·
Man Child
24,725 Posts
Kasoze said:
OK, will try that. If it is a solenoid, how difficult is it to replace?
You have to drop the pan and I can't remember if you have to pull the pump or not. You may want to ask your local trans shop and see what they have to say.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts