Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

Today's my first day on the forum, looks good though, I'm impressed.

I'm about to buy my first 4x4, and I'm looking at a 92 4Runner. I just had a pre-purchase inspection done, and the garage found some problems with the steering and suspension.

Since I'm new to 4x4's, and new to 4runners, I'm looking for some advice about how much this type of repair might cost, and whether you all think it's still a smart purchase.

Here's the skinny. They recommended:
- new idler arm
- new pitman arm
- replace inner and outer tie rods (they're worn.)
- front wheel bearings are loose. (replace?)
- they think it could also have steering box problems, but can't tell while that stuff is wonky.

The front brakes are also pretty worn, so I'd change those at the same time if I was doing the work. (Pads and left rotor.)

The guy at the garage guessed this might run about $1500-$2000 CDN (wild guess), but someone else there who was more into 4x4's said it could end up running higher.

Am I walking into a money pit?

The guy wants $6K for the truck, it's otherwise in really great shape. But with these "instant" repairs it's going to run $8K. Is that worth it?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help...

Oh yeah, he said the front cover on the engine is leaking a tiny bit of oil too. Suggested shampoo to see how bad it really is. Any idea how big a repair on that is on these trucks?

·
nice roach.
5,722 Posts
toyotaboy said:
what do you do to wear out a pitman arm????
IFS trucks have a balljoint/ tie rod end in the end of the pittman arm... i guess thats worn out..... my advice negotiate the price of the truck down with the worn out stuff and put a straight axle under it... you'll be removing everything you'd replace fixing the ifs once you use it a while and decide that you want to sas the truck.....

my .02 :)

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
hell for a little more money you could buy another truck. if that is all that is wrong with it, it can easily be fixed with a socket ratchet set,breaker bar, pickle fork ,hammer, a cheap puller (that you can return)at autozone. $6000 is too much if oil leak is just the pump housing or the front main seal thats easy too. i would never dump $8000, im also assuming its a 4cyl

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
You don't say whether it's a V6 or 4cyl or 5sp or Auto or how many miles or option pkg (SR5, etc).

All this plays into the value.

Also, what type of wheeling are you planning to do? If you want to do extreme trails and/or the hard lines (Rubicon, Hammers, etc.) don't start with an IFS 4Runner. If you want to do moderate trails and maybe the Rubicon with bypasses (by no means always easy) then an IFS 4Runner can be a good choice. It will need some modifications for the 4+ stuff.

Develop your plan, then select the vehicle to fit.

For $6k, you could get into a lot of different vehicles already trail ready.

Just my $0.02

Phil
If you really like the 2nd Gen 4Runner, you can make it wheel...:D

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I own and wheel with a 92 4runner. considering the amount of problems and the price, I wouldnt do it. Even if you are going solid axle, for 6k you get a good runner and then have a good front end to sell. As for the truck itself, I love it. I havent yet had the money to SAS. But I will some day. In the mean time, I refuse to lift the thing (that seems to be asking for problems, plus I dont want to money into something i will eventually trash). Besides I can fit 32s stock, especially with allpros bumpers. Also with little more than some muds and a locker, I can wheel with all my buddies fully locked up land cruisers on 33s and 35s. At 120k (middle age) it takes enormouse beatings and still cruises down the highway.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
u bought my 92 a year ago in excelent shape with 120k on the clock for 4500. v-6 and needed nothing. keep looking i think you can do better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts