Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
BAM!BAM!BAM!BAM!BAM!
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
92 chevy 6.5 turbo diesel dually?????

I've got an opportunity to get a 92 chevy dually with the 6.5 turbo diesel 2wd standard cab for about $3800. It drives real good. His friend is building a $250k house and is just liquidizing some stuff he doesnt need. What ya think folks?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
this probably isn't what your looking for, but here it goes anyway :D All i ever hear is how the 6.2 is such a dog. Now, granted it won't run with the turbo diesels, but it will do what you want aslong as you have realstic expectaions. We had a 6.2 in an older 85 model ton pickup, it had over 200k miles when it was sold. the only things ever done to it was, injectors, injection pump and routine maintence, oh and a starter once, but that was it. it was very reliable though. I honestly don't know the values of those model trucks, but I do know if it's clean and been taken care of, it sure beats the heck out of 20G's + for a newer model tow rig. hillbilly

·
BAM!BAM!BAM!BAM!BAM!
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will just be using it to take my 16 ft trailer and the Toyota in my sig to the trail.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
A good friend of mine used to have a 6.2 K5 Blazer as a DD and tow vehicle for his business. It got good mileage and was pretty reliable, but it wasn't a speed demon.

I would say that as long as you aren't in a huge hurry and don't mind towing a bit slower, you should go for it.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
the 6.2 is a pretty reliable engine. With a turbo slapped on it the actually can tow at the speed limit. W/o the turbo towing up inclines usually won't be much faster than 50. They get good mileage and are good engines, but they are not powerful. If it is in good shape and has less than 100k that seems like a reasonable price if it has more than 100k it will probably need injectors soon and possibly a pump depending on how well the engine was taken care of. Best of luck

-ben

·
Premium Member
13,267 Posts
Pretty much everyone covered it... first thing is wire up a manual glow plug button. Run a fuel additive to keep the pump happy. Other than that, it should be a long lasting engine. It wont have enough power to get out of its own way, but it'll get awesome fuel mileage w/no load on it. If it were mine i wouldnt even bother looking at a turbo for it.... just drive the shit out of it until you have money for something with a better motor. As long as there are no big inclines, it should tow 5-6000 lbs. just fine.

·
Registered
12,166 Posts
I had a 6.2, it got crappy milage when towing and was way way way under powered. I would much rather tow with a gas 5.7. I also had to replace the injector pump after 50K. The price doesn't sounds that great to me for a 6.2 powered one ton. But then again free advice is only worth what you pay for it :flipoff2: .

·
BAM!BAM!BAM!BAM!BAM!
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ttt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts