Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 92 4.3L Vortec (CPI version) that originally had an auto behind it. I've been running a SM465 with a V8 168 tooth fly wheel and a CSI Hi-torque starter (CSI-100U)

I am swapping this all out for a TH350 and have a B&M flexplate (168 tooth, externally balanced, dual bolt pattern, Part# 20239).

I installed the flex plate today and was checking clearances. The ring gear on the flex plate interferes with the starter by 3/32".

The starter is fully retracted. Reversing the flex plate (which I am sure is wrong) clear the starter, but now it will have less then 50% engagement AND the TC won't bolt up because the weight interferes with the TC mount tab.

I've searched here and all over the net and have come up short.

Do I need to run some kind of spacer behind the flex plate?

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
zippo said:
Sounds like you need to shim your starter. You can get starter shims at most parts stores.
The interference isn't going to be helped by shiming the starter. The shims you are referring to help the depth of the tooth engagement, but I need the plate to move away from the crank.

Thanks for relpying though. I am using the same starter I used with the manual setup.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
You are probably going to need a different starter and possibly flexplate, I am using a '95 CPI 4.3 with the '95 4L60E, obviosly no problems. I did have a different '95 4.3 CPI with a 700R a long time ago, the engine didnt have a starter with it, and the guy I bought it from said I would have to find the right starter to make it work?:confused: Sold it all before I finished the project. I did have to replace the flexplate on my current '95 and I just got the flexplate for a 95 S10 blazer 4x4. I had an '87 4.3 laying around, and tried to use the flexplate off of it, and they were not the same diameter. If you need part numbers, I can look at my stuff. Not sure if this helps, but good luck.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm. Not really something I want to hear. B&M, Jegs and Summit all list this flexplate for 86-94 SB and 4.3L V6. I think its the right flexplate.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Jim give Kenith a call at 558-6252. If he cant help we can call on Jerome for some assistance. between the two we ought to be able to come up with something.

Toddy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts