Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
4x4 Consultant
7,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after getting some air out of the injectors lines my CTD is running good with the Diaphram mod. I was thinking of adjusting the Star Wheel as described in the TDR PDF file I have. Seems straight forward but wanted to talk to those who have done the mod. an see if its worth it?

Tango

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
i forget which to turn it but have heard good results from the mod. i liked the turn of the full power screw myself as you arent messing with the pump internals.

also have you put a smaller turbo housing on it yet kev? that made a huge difference on mine going from teh stock 21 to the 16cm driving around town was a blast. of course i have other mods as well now, but that was the best 150 bucks i spent. jiMMy

·
4x4 Consultant
7,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope , I dont have the smaller housing yet but that will be soon. I really need the exhaust done and a good intake system. I remeber you telling about your exhaust sys. can you refresh me? and also have you done the intake?

·
4x4 Consultant
7,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The AFC Star Wheel is located inside the Pump and is ajustible by rotating it clockwise. Seems like a pretty good mod but I wanted to know the real world results.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
the star wheel is under the diaphram you already adjusted

it sets how fast the fuel comes on as boost rises if you turn it to far you will choke the engine down with fuel before the turbo spools up

just go like 2 full turns and see how you like it

but if it were me I would turn the full load screw ~1 turn and leave the star wheel alone for now (untill you get the new trubo housing)

when you get the new housing the turbo will spool sooner so you could adjust it down then untill then it might just be for a smoke show

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
jstarnes said:
good info but very different from a 89-93 cummins
I figured there were differences, but thought I would toss that out just for reference.

I got sick of the text descriptions of how to adjust it and figured a short web write-up would make things a lot easier to follow :)

If I had an 89-93 at my disposal I would do a tech write-up for it too :p

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
UGET IT said:
I'll have to drop by when I'm in Tenn. DRM :*)
Any time, any time :cool2:

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
Does this truck have a VE pump?
If so, there is no star wheel - is there?

I have instructions to rotate an eccentric rod for more fuel for my truck.
I'm waiting until I install a pyrometer.

What pump are you working on?

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
yes the 89-93's have VE bosch pumps.
the star wheel is below the ecentric cone.

jiMMy

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
What does the star wheel adjust?
I am planning some pump mods and was just planning on rotating the eccentric shaft.

Also, I advanced my pump timing by rotating the pump (I had to pull the pump to replace a stud that vibrated loose).
It makes more noise now from the motor compartment and it has more power.
I was wondering if I rotated it too far because the noise seems to be like a spark knock.

My top speed was 95 against the governor, now it will go slightly over 100. The top speed is the only indicator that I have besides the seat of my pants.
I also turned the smoke screw in last year and did get some take off power and get a little black smoke when towing on a big hill. I get more smoke since I advanced the pump timing.

EDIT: now reading this to see if it answers my questions

http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/more_power/Power_ve.htm

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
basicly the cone is what sets how much fuel the pump puts out (not quite that simple but I said basicly)

the star wheel adjusts how fast the fuel comes on, boost pushes down the diaphram and the star wheel sets the tension on the spring which holds the diaphram up (boost pushes down) the less tension the faster the boost can push

you have to be carefull as to much fuel will smoke heavy and may choke the engine down

1 - 14 of 14 Posts