Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and only found swaps with computer and everything for carb to FI.
What I need to know is will a late model, say 2002 4.0, direct swap into my auto 93 yj if I take all brackets(alternator powersteering), sensors, etc. of my OBDI motor and put it on the long block of the late model OBDII motor. My engine is down to 5 cylinders and looking for cheap quick fix, while I take the original and stroke it after the money tree grows. I have found a low milage 2002 from a tj for 450.00. Can I use the new head and intake or will I have to use the 93 yj intake and head. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Brian

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cjoffroad deals with swapping entire motor, computer and wireing harness. What I need to know is will the sensors, alternator, powersteering, etc. off a OBDI(93AUTOYJ) bolt to a OBDII(02TJ) longblock and head.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Without seeing the parts myself, I think the only problem you may have is the throttle body.

I think all the other sensors from you '93 system would bolt right up.

If your '93 throttle body will bolt onto the newer intake, I bet your golden.
If not, you just would have to use the intake from your old motor on the new one.

as far as Iknow, noe changes were made to the block (of the 4.0).

·
Registered
193 Posts
I think that there is a issue with the temperatue sensor on the 97' and up engines. But if you were to have both engines in hand are willing to swap all of the accesories from the older to the newer then you should have no problem.

In the Newer plocks they added more internal ribbing and a girdle for the main bearings which actually make it a stronger block. But from conversaions on the Stroker board on Yahoo the earlier head castings like yours actually flow better.

If you can I would use the newer intake as it has more volume. Kind of like a really big throttle body spacer. It is actually supposed to improve the engine.

So if you have a good deal then I would just go for it.

Carl

1 - 5 of 5 Posts